Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Niyha2010

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Can I file taxes on my ssi

Can I file taxes on ssi

Are you really asking about SSI---Supplemental Security Income or do you mean Social Security?

They are not the same thing

WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN SOCIAL SECURITY BENEFITS AND SSI?

https://www.ssa.gov/ssi/text-over-ussi.htm

If you receive SSI you do not enter it on a tax return at all.  If you are receiving Social Security benefits then if the SS is your ONLY income you do not have to file a tax return.  If you received a 1095A for marketplace insurance (Obamacare) then you do need to file a return.  Or if you have other income you might need to file a return.

You need to file a federal return if half your Social Security plus your other income is $25,000 when filing single or head of household, or $32,000 when filing married filing jointly, $0 if you are filing married filing separately.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Can i file for ssi

Did you get a SSA-1099?  Do you have any other income?

If you ONLY get SSI or  Social Security or Social Security Disability or a SSA-1099 or RRB-1099 for railroad retirement you do not have to file a return.  And there is no benefit to itemizing deductions or claiming dependents.

You can file a return to get back any withholding taken out.  If they are taking out withholding then you should tell Social Security to stop taking it out.

@Marisuffel wrote:

Can i file for ssi

SSI is Supplemental Security Income and is not from the Social Security Administration. It is designed to help aged, blind, and disabled people, who have little or no income; and. It provides cash to meet basic needs for food, clothing, and shelter. SSI is not reported on a tax return.

Social Security Retirement/Disability/Survivors benefits are reported on a form SSA-1099 and the benefits received are reported on a federal tax return. The benefits may be taxable depending on the amount of other income you have entered on your tax return.
However, if the Social Security benefits are the Only income to be reported on the tax return, then there is no reason or need to file a tax return.

To enter Social Security benefits reported on form SSA-1099

• Click on Federal Taxes (Personal using Home and Business)
  • Click on Wages and Income (Personal Income using Home and Business)
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
  • Scroll down to Retirement Plans and Social Security
  • On Social Security (SSA-1099, RRB-1099), click the start or update button

Or enter ssa-1099 in the Search box located in the upper right of the program screen. Click on Jump to ssa-1099

I am wondering if I can file taxes though I only get SSI. I am married but my husband and I have been apart 2 years so his family has been filing his as single. I want to file because of stimulus checks coming out. I survive barely on 698 through disability and the stimulus check would greatly help me so please let me know if I can file. Thank you.

Michele Turner

[email address removed]

VictorW9
Expert Alumni

If you received Social Security Supplemental Income, then you wouldn't need to file because that is not considered earned income for tax filing purposes. If you received an SSA-1099 and your income is between $25,000 to $34,000 filing single or head of household, $32,000 to $44,000 filing joint, you'll pay taxes on 50% of your social security income. Above these amount, you'll pay taxes on 85% of the benefits.

@ Dextermom19  "I want to file because of stimulus checks coming out. I survive barely on 698 through disability and the stimulus check would greatly help me so please let me know if I can file." Given this information you may not be required to file taxes.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I"m on ssi and need to know the process before i can recieve a check

Am i eligible for a coronavirus stimulis check while on ssi and if so what are my steps

@Stallonecapone The stimulus bill was just signed today.  All of the details for how they will send out checks or make deposits are not yet known.  Even the IRS does not have that information up yet.  We do not know yet.  Please give it a few days -- when there is reliable information it will be available here and on the IRS site.

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Mikep6262

How do I file my income tax? SSI is my only source of income.

Mikep6262

I will not be able to receive a federal stimulus package?

@Mikep6262 wrote:

How do I file my income tax? SSI is my only source of income.

SSI is Supplemental Security Income and is not from the Social Security Administration. It is designed to help aged, blind, and disabled people, who have little or no income; and. It provides cash to meet basic needs for food, clothing, and shelter. SSI is not reported on a tax return.

A tax return with no income entered cannot be e-filed.  The IRS will not process a tax return with no income entered.

Can I file taxes on ssi

@Carolinacinder1122 wrote:

Can I file taxes on ssi

If you receive SSI that is not reported on a tax return.  If you receive Social Security benefits reported to you on a SSA-1099 and that is your only income then there is no need or reason to file a tax return.

See this IRS website for information - https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/economic-impact-payments-what-you-need-to-know

I am not typically required to file a tax return. Can I still receive my payment?

Yes. People who typically do not file a tax return will need to file a simple tax return to receive an economic impact payment. Low-income taxpayers, senior citizens, Social Security recipients, some veterans and individuals with disabilities who are otherwise not required to file a tax return will not owe tax.

How can I file the tax return needed to receive my economic impact payment?

IRS.gov/coronavirus will soon provide information instructing people in these groups on how to file a 2019 tax return with simple, but necessary, information including their filing status, number of dependents and direct deposit bank account information

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies