Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I delete a write-in field from line 33 of my 2020 Form 1040?Specifically, the verbiage "Form 8689 $0" is preventing me from being able to efile my state return.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
KatrinaLO
Intuit Alumni

Can I delete a write-in field from line 33 of my 2020 Form 1040?Specifically, the verbiage "Form 8689 $0" is preventing me from being able to efile my state return.

If you are having issues and need assistance, please contact customer support. Please see the Customer Support phone number below:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

If you would like to reach out through our website, please see the TurboTax FAQ below for contact information: https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I have the same question. I have nothing to do with Virgin Islands but TurboTax is placing that text (Form 8689) on Line 33 of Form 1040. Have you determined a way to edit that out of the form ?! I'm stuck and have no idea how it was generated.

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

If there is a form you do not need, you can delete it. Please see How do I view and delete forms in TurboTax Online? for instructions. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I have this same issue.  I called and spent over 2 hours on the phone trying to get help.  A work order was put in to research and had a case number.  I was told to call back in a couple days.  I waited longer than a week to call back to give them time to figure it out.  I was on phone for another 30 minutes before I gave up.  The TurboTax person did not know how to help me and when she went to the case number nothing was notated on it.  Anyone have an idea how to get this note off my taxes so we can file?  I have no form 8689 to delete.  thank you.

I got it to work without errors but don't exactly know how it happened. Try going to FORMS. Then to that line (33?). DOUBLE CLICK on that entry. I think it takes you somewhere else like a worksheet. Make sure it's BLANK. No 0, no description, etc.  Sorry I can't quite remember exactly HOW to do it, but that was the general idea. Hope that helps.  Once I got to it, it was incredibly easy.

Leisa2

The population  Of this block 33, is most likely a carry over from your previous year's filing Something in the form of a repayment from "other credits" 

So click on the box that shows "0" associated near the form 8689 section.

The "+" will become visible... 

Next find the "other credit" quick  zoom...

Next clear any data (even a bunch of zeroes will have to be cleared) 

Then simply return to form 1040

you will find the successful clearing of 

The 8689 Form, and you should now be able to e-file...

bkroeker1

I tried to follow the directions for this "fix" but there was not a "+" button anywhere on the form 1040 or on the associated worksheet 1040SR, and the form 33 fields were uneditable.

Additionally, there is no Form 8689 in my forms list.

HELP!

MoniqueLO_
Intuit Alumni

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies