Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

erika15

Called the irs they said its in error department and don't know why. What does it mean??

My return was accepted 4/7/21 and mine also was in errors department when finally getting ahold of someone she just kept repeating they are told to tell taxpayers to be patient. I'm passed patient at this point and so is my checking account that turbo tax keeps trying to take their processing fee out of causing me to keep getting a rejection fee. They need to put a little pep in their step. They obviously are not processing in the order received or I wouldn't be sitting in errors department for months. 

Called the irs they said its in error department and don't know why. What does it mean??

Sadly the poor "errors dept"  where humans review returns that the computer cannot handle has been tasked with the huge task of processing 50+ million returns this year with various situations.   The returns were not sent in a first in first out batches ... it was a mixed up mess.    AND   this dept usually only handles a couple million returns in a time when they cannot hire & train enough qualified  personnel to handle the load just like all the other employers in this country due to all those on unemployment who make more sitting on their butts at home  and you have created the perfect storm and the american taxpayers are suffering the effects.

If you want to do something then contact your congress person and voice your anger at them since they have been reducing the IRS budget every year for a decade and have expected them to do more with less.  Now all they can do is less with the more work they are expected to do ( 3 stimulus payments  & 2 tax law changes all in a short period of time with covid restrictions to boot). 

UPDATE: Received my IRS Refund on June 30. I filed on 2/28. On or about the same day I also received my 2021 stimulus check. This was great because I was prepared to have to fight and claw for that for another four months. 

christopher-ande
Returning Member

According to this IRS update as of May 7th:     

The IRS is now opening mail within normal timeframes.

this is not true!  at all! Sorry but I am sick of the BS My taxes were3 accepted April 7th and no refund or information yet...= I call everyday and get the same BS "to busy to help me" recording and hangs up  I was approved for TAS under hardship they cant do anything because my taxes are in error 100 code??? what does that mean

christopher-ande
Returning Member

mine was accepted 4/7 also no news..   I am beyond patient too

Shusten14

What's the error for

@Shusten14 No one at TurboTax knows if or why your return is in the error department.  We cannot see your tax return.  There are a number of things that could cause your return to be there.   Lots of people made mistakes with the recovery rebate credit, for one thing.   If the IRS requests information from you, provide it asap.

From this IRS website - https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operations-during-covid-19-mission-critical-functions-continue

The IRS is opening mail within normal timeframes and all paper and electronic individual returns received prior to April 2021 have been processed if the return had no errors or did not require further review. As of July 31, 2021, we had 13.8 million unprocessed individual returns. Unprocessed individual returns include tax year 2020 returns such as those requiring correction to the Recovery Rebate Credit amount or validation of 2019 income used to figure the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and Additional Child Tax Credit (ACTC). This work does not require us to correspond with taxpayers but does require special handling by an IRS employee so, in these instances, it is taking the IRS more than 21 days to issue any related refund and in some cases this work could take 90 to 120 days. If, as a result, a correction is made to any RRC, EITC or ACTC claimed on the return, the IRS will send taxpayers an explanation. Taxpayers are encouraged to continue to check Where’s My Refund? for their personalized refund status and can review Tax Season Refund Frequently Asked Questions.

How long you may have to wait: The IRS understands the importance of timely processing of tax returns and refund issuance. We have processed all error free returns received prior to April 2021 and continue to work the returns that need to be manually reviewed due to errors.  We are continuing to reroute tax returns and taxpayer correspondence from locations that are behind to locations where more staff is available, and we are taking other actions to minimize any delays. Tax returns are opened and processed in the order received. As the return is processed, whether it was filed electronically or on paper,  it may be delayed because it has a mistake including errors concerning the Recovery Rebate Credit, is missing information, or there is suspected identity theft or fraud. If we can fix it without contacting you, we will. If we need more information or need you to verify that it was you who sent the tax return, we will write you a letter. The resolution of these issues could take 90 to 120 days depending on how quickly and accurately you respond, and the ability of IRS staff trained and working under social distancing requirements to complete the processing of your return.

What you should do: In most instances, no further action is needed but you may check Where’s my refund or you can view your account. If you filed electronically and received an acknowledgement, you do not need to take any further action other than promptly responding to any requests for information. If you filed on paper, check Where’s my refund? If it tells you we have received your return or are processing or reviewing it, we are processing your return, but it may be under review. We’re working hard to get through the backlog. Please don’t file a second tax return or contact the IRS about the status of your return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
IanE85

what was your outcome? currently going through this now

DawnC
Expert Alumni

This thread is from last year @IanE85.   If you want to start a new thread, use this link.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
8200black
Returning Member

They told me my refund was in the error department an ask did I receive a letter I reply no the representative said I should receive one in the mail this year sucks 

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

@8200black

Since this is information with the IRS, they would need to be the ones assisting you with this.  Once your return has been transmitted, you are then on their timeline. 

Have you already spoken with an agent directly or did you receive this information via their WMR site, letter, or automated system.  An easier way to reach out to a live agent is as follows:

IRS: 800-829-1040  

Hours: 7 AM - 7 PM, local time 

Monday-Friday

• Listen to each menu before making the selection.
  • First choose your language. Press 1 for English.
  • Then do NOT choose the first choice re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.
  • Instead, press 2 for "personal income tax".
  • Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".  
  • Then press 3 "for all other questions."
  • Then press 2 "for all other questions."  It should then transfer you to an agent.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Mines is in error and what I don’t understand is I called and got a hold of someone and she said it’s in the error department because It’s a mistake on how much I received for my 3rd stimulus but if they know that how come it wasn’t fixed yet? They said they have until April 8th to fix it and send to me and I guarantee that’s how long it will take exactly. EVERYTHING GETS BLAMED ON COVID!!

@Nikkistacks6 If you made a mistake when you answered the questions for the recovery rebate credit in Federal Review it will delay your refund.  You should have received letter 6475 that showed how much you got for the 3rd EIP payment, and that information needed to be entered correctly.   If it was not entered correctly, then it has caused your problem and the delay for your refund.  If you really received the 3rd EIP payment last year, but said you did not get it, then it ended up on line 30 of your Form 1040.   If that money was on line 30 by mistake the IRS is taking it away since you cannot get it twice.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
scott1e

turbo tax filed correction forms in error, causing three withdrawals of $2000 out of my account and they won't help and I can't get in touch with IRS. What can I do?

What "correction forms" did TT file?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies