Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

TMD17

Called the irs they said its in error department and don't know why. What does it mean??

Turbo tax sucks. They make you pay $60 just to file when you have a certain form for student loan interest. A couple years ago I was having issues filing so I had to call and they told me the wrong information 3 different times to the point that I could no longer file electronically. This year I used a tax preparer for $275. I put my info in turbo tax just to see how much I would have gotten back with them and it was $1500 less than the tax preparer. 

Called the irs they said its in error department and don't know why. What does it mean??

From this IRS website - https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operations-during-covid-19-mission-critical-functions-continue

As of May 15, 2021, we had 300,000 individual tax returns received prior to 2021 in the processing pipeline. Including current year returns, as of May 15, 2021, we had 16.4 million unprocessed individual returns in the pipeline. Unprocessed returns include those requiring correction to the Recovery Rebate Credit amount or validation of 2019 income used to figure the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and Additional Child Tax Credit (ACTC). This work does not require us to correspond with taxpayers but does require special handling by an IRS employee so, in these instances, it is taking the IRS more than 21 days to issue any related refund. If, as a result, a correction is made to any RRC, EITC or ACTC claimed on the return, the IRS will send taxpayers an explanation. Taxpayers are encouraged to continue to check Where’s My Refund? for their personalized refund status and can review Tax Season Refund Frequently Asked Questions.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Yea seems they dont care keep saying wait. Tild me yesterday wait 20 werks call back like really evertime i call back u keep saying wait they wint tell u at all how het hold errors department 

Claim theres no way to call them or tell me wait till summer i dint gave time wait if i owed them it be differnt. Then they would want thete money

SmilesAMD

I am beyond frustrated with the IRS. Waited online for 1 1/2 hours just for them to tell me it is in the error dept. My 2019 taxes were in the error dept and as of todya 6/4/2021 I still have not received the 2019 taxes and also my 2020 taxes. They suck! Of course they want their money but when it come to paying out people hard earned money they are fuc*ing SLOW! 

Thats crazy that your 2019 in errors still they need get there head out there a$$ you figure they cant hold them that long im sick of waiting for hour be told oh we cant help u i didnt no there was a way get hold them in line how do i do it that was ? U figure there be a way talk some one in charge you right u owe them there say there gking take your stuff away u dont pay them

Sadly the error resolution department Is where returns that need human interaction go and unfortunately the IRS has been short of humans For a variety of reasons including the Covid situation and the fact that their budget has been cut every year for the past decade so they’re not able to hire enough people or have enough equipment for all the people they could hire to work on. Their computer systems are mostly five years old or older which is ancient in computer time. 

If you want to get angry talk to your Congress person and tell them to increase the budget for the IRS so they can properly do their job. Right now they’re so strapped that only 2% of the calls to the IRS are being answered. Which is why you can’t get through to a human at the IRS right now.

also the error resolution department usually only handles a few thousand returns per year and a few million returns have just been dumped on this understaffed department. No one could foresee that the tax law change in mid March and the reconciliation of the first two stimulus checks we’re going to have on the IRS Processing systems. Sadly everyone will just have to be patient while the IRS works hard at trying to process all of the returns that have come in along with the thousands of returns from 2019 that still haven’t been finished.

Same thing. I filed with IRS via TurboTax on 2/28. Still waiting. Found a "backdoor" to an agent who said it was in the Errors Dept. Apparently my ex who I divorced in Feb 2020 received one small partial stimulus direct deposit in May 2020. She didn't even notice it apparently until I let her know what the IRS said. Anyway, that misfire and miscalculation landed me apparently in the Errors Department. I was told the corrections would be made after being asked if I wanted to check with her first or have the original deposit reversed and work off the figures I submitted. This was all May 17th. I was told I should have my case resolved and a processing date by June 1st. Nope, still waiting. And no luck getting to the Errors Department. <sigh>

And salt in the wound! Intuit tells me they haven't been paid for their services due to the overwhelmed IRS and they're going to debit my account. So glad Intuit chose to charge me rather than stand shoulder to shoulder and advocate for resolution for me and thousands if not millions of other taxpayers. 

And a special thank you to the GQP for decades of defunding the IRS. Another special policy pursuit of the top 1% and their allies. Wealth Tax is coming for you! And a reconstituted IRS focused on the tricksters letting the suckers in the bottom 60% pay for roads and schools while you cut costs, cut jobs, cut benefits, and buy off your top 'players' with cushy consulting jobs when they leave government after passing laws favoring the wealthy. So much Corruption!

Yup they seem not to care told me wait rill 10 week i did then its 20 weeks i did now its wait till end of step then call back if its in there so called errors how come they claim no way contact that department if we owed them.its all different yea i never use turbo tax again there more worried about taken there money out my acvount then helping me out hooe they losse alot people to

Who did u call get info irs wont tell me crap turbo tax more worrired about there fees. If its in errors its cause they did crap wrong cause they did our taxes u think since we paid them they need figure why and what error is instead telling me oh when u did your taxes your agreed if irs not done with in time frame we just take it out your account i cant wait till next year for a refund😡😡😡

FYI ... the "errors department" is not just for errors on the return ... this year this poor department had millions of returns that needed human reviewing thrust on them all at once and they usually only process a few thousand returns per year.  As such they are inundated and will eventually get to every return to process them but everyone needs to be patient.  

If you want to be angry contact your local congress person and demand the IRS be better funded so they can hire enough staff and buy enough new equipment to handle the processing requirements of all the last minute tax law changes and stimulus payments the IRS is expected to handle during and after a pandemic.  The congress has reduced the IRS budget every year for a decade now so yell at the right people.  

STOP TROLLING ON MY POST STOP COPYING AND PASTING YOUR BULL **bleep** AND GET TF OFF MY POST NO ONE ASK YOU FOR YOUR **bleep**TY COMMENTS TAKE YOUR JUST patient. SO OF US NEED IT LESS YOUR WORK FOR THE IRS STFU!!

I filed with TT the simplest of ALL returns. It was accepted April 12. Electronically. I keep getting a person that continually says it’s in the “errors” department. No one can say what the “error” might be??????what is going on????

Martuck24
Returning Member

Curious if you are still waiting on your refund? I spoke to someone the beginning on June who told me the 10 week information. Today I called again and was told that my refund had a simple error that usually takes 3-4 days to resolve— she basically told me the same thing- the 3-4 days means nothing and it’s just a waiting game now. 

From this IRS website - https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operations-during-covid-19-mission-critical-functions-continue

As of May 15, 2021, we had 300,000 individual tax returns received prior to 2021 in the processing pipeline. Including current year returns, as of May 15, 2021, we had 16.4 million unprocessed individual returns in the pipeline. Unprocessed returns include those requiring correction to the Recovery Rebate Credit amount or validation of 2019 income used to figure the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and Additional Child Tax Credit (ACTC). This work does not require us to correspond with taxpayers but does require special handling by an IRS employee so, in these instances, it is taking the IRS more than 21 days to issue any related refund. If, as a result, a correction is made to any RRC, EITC or ACTC claimed on the return, the IRS will send taxpayers an explanation. Taxpayers are encouraged to continue to check Where’s My Refund? for their personalized refund status and can review Tax Season Refund Frequently Asked Questions.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
SmilesAMD

Yes I am still waiting for my 2019 and 2020 tax return that is still in the error dept. I received 1 explanation letter back in February for my 2020 tax return and I sent in the required information. I am still waiting and frustrated. They also held my stimulus money that everyone got. It would be nice if I could get some answers!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies