Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts Retirement/Life Events! >> Event happening TOMORROW!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Bug report - joint return w/deceased spouse efile rejected by IRS

I am the executor of my father's estate, and I have received the same rejection using correct AGI for my parents' taxes.  Considering the number of posts identifying this issue, I would encourage Intuit to institute a bug fix ASAP.  Please think about this: the loss of a family member is an excruciating experience, and the last thing we need to be worrying about right now is why we cannot efile (I likewise spent an hour or two last night trying to solve this problem).  With this bug identified, either tell a widow/widower not to efile upfront so that we don't waste our time, or fix the bug.  With so many families simply trying to file their taxes as their executor duty, this should be an issue of high priority to get fixed.

Token number 624440

@bjwimpey wrote:

I am the executor of my father's estate, and I have received the same rejection using correct AGI for my parents' taxes.  Considering the number of posts identifying this issue, I would encourage Intuit to institute a bug fix ASAP.  Please think about this: the loss of a family member is an excruciating experience, and the last thing we need to be worrying about right now is why we cannot efile (I likewise spent an hour or two last night trying to solve this problem).  With this bug identified, either tell a widow/widower not to efile upfront so that we don't waste our time, or fix the bug.  With so many families simply trying to file their taxes as their executor duty, this should be an issue of high priority to get fixed.

An executor (or personal representative) whom is not the spouse of the deceased must physically sign a tax return with your name as representative for the deceased as specified in  IRS Pub 559.    Since that is not possible with e-file, physically signing (and possible attaching the court documents appointing you as executor) can only be mail filed.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p559.pdf

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

I misspoke.  I am not filing as executor on behalf of my father, I am helping my mother file her joint tax return.  As executor, it's my duty to make sure a tax return is filed for the deceased, which my mother is able to do (with help from me on the computer).

@bjwimpey wrote:

I misspoke.  I am not filing as executor on behalf of my father, I am helping my mother file her joint tax return.  As executor, it's my duty to make sure a tax return is filed for the deceased, which my mother is able to do (with help from me on the computer).

Even if TT fixes this - if your father was receiving SS benefits and the SSA has been notified of the death (as they should be) then they will have "locked" the SSN which will also prevent e-filling but with a different reject code. E-file with a locked SSN is prohibited by the IRS.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

TT software (downloaded version at least) asks up front if someone has passed and when.  So if as you say there is a definite reason one cannot efile if a spouse passes, then TT should alert the user not to even try to efile (as you say, it will be rejected because a spouse has passed).  By not telling the user this, the user can waste hour(s) trying to figure out the reason why efiling fails.

Thanks for all your replies.  I see your point, but I really want you to see mine, which is improving UX.  This is a frustrating User Experience at a painful time in someone's life. TT needs to know and fix this issue with their software, and this is clearly a known issue.  

@GabiU :

Re: Token number 624440 

Here is the rejection info:

IND-031-04 - The primary taxpayer's AGI or Self-select PIN from last year does not match IRS records.

That reject has nothing to do with the subject of this thread. 

Either the AGI you entered is wrong, you amended and entered the wrong AGI,  you filed late and the AGI  is not in the IRS database or the IRS database has an error.  Try using 0 for the AGI.  If it still rejects then paper filing is the only option.

See this TurboTax FAQ on how to find your AGI

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301618

If you filed late last year there is a good chance that the 2018 AGI never was entered into the e-file database. Try using 0 (zero) for the AGI.

If you filed an amended return use the AGI on the first filed tax return.

If it continues to reject then the AGI in the IRS database might be in error. Mail filing is the only option.

@macuser_22, @GabiU I spent an hour or two looking at forum results and trying different options to e-file the other night, including using -0- as the AGI.  I am contributing my experience in this thread because 1) I pulled the AGI as described by TT from IRS.gov and can guarantee I correctly typed the digits into the box on TT and 2) this involves a deceased spouse of a joint filing

Please see this thread also:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/my-taxes-have-been-rejected-saying-the-agi-doesnt...

This appears to be a TT issue and a bug report needs to be filed to the correct software engineering group.

Same issue just happened to me, as I was doing my parents taxes:  verified the AGI, resubmitted and return was rejected again.  Will not try to change the deceased spouse, can only be a problem later. 

So I have created a diagnostic copy and have sent.  Please let us all know what you find.  With the novel Coronovirus tax filing extension, my $24.99 payment already made, and the fact that my parents do not owe any money, I can wait a little time for an answer.  Thanks for you assistance, be safe and flatten the curve!  

The Token number is:  627090

Refiled again using "0" as the AGI, and received the following code.  IND-032-04 - 'SpousePriorYearPIN' or 'SpousePriorYearAGIAmt' in the Return Header must match the e-File database.  

Re-copied this tax file for TT use:  token 627557. 

Based on the thread discussion, I have now requested an IRS transcript of the return, to verify what AGI is being used by IRS. 

I see this as a TT issue to resolve.  If I find that the AGI is the number that I input correctly, then I will print and send both returns by snail mail and be requesting my $24.99 back.   How disappointing,..What a pain, just to e-file. 

Mar
Level 3

I have the same issue, my husband died in 2019. I entered the AGI straight from my Turbotax 2018 returns. I never had a problem before this with rejected returns. My token number is 628112

Everyone.  No need to send additional files and tokens.   One was enough - it is being investigated.

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Time-saving Tip: If what you entered is correct and you continue to get a reject, you won't be able to e-file. There's probably a data mismatch at the government, or some other situation beyond your control that prevents your return from being e-filed. In this case, your only option would be to print and mail in your return.

This article will give you instruction on how to print and mail your return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Mar
Level 3

Just a thought, on my joint tax return my husband is listed as the primary tax filer, but only my PIN got sent (as far as I could see) with the returns.  Perhaps the fact that his isn't sent is what is causing the problem?

*edited to say PIN (not token)

The IRS gets no tokens ... not sure why you think they would.  All the IRS needs & wants is the 2018 self selected filing PIN  or  the AGI.  If neither will work then your only option is to mail in the return.  

Due to identity theft a decedent's SS# is often locked when filing with a DIY program ... as a professional using a professional program  my decedent returns are never rejected.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies