Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

My taxes have been rejected saying the AGI doesnt match. but the AGI im entering is the same number i received from the IRS transcript...HELP!!!!

When you e-file your return make sure you use the same AGI for both of you from your originally filed 2018 joint return. Do not split the AGI between you.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

My taxes have been rejected saying the AGI doesnt match. but the AGI im entering is the same number i received from the IRS transcript...HELP!!!!

That's my point.  I've never split our AGI, transcript confirms I didn't last year and forms generated by TurboTax this year don't have it split, but TurboTax is puking up the error anyway.

AmyC
Expert Alumni

The IRS only match your SSN, date of birth and the first 4 letters of your last name. Nothing else matters, Nicknames have never gone on tax returns unless you make that the name. Again, the IRS only looks at last name, first 4 characters

If you filed joint, the AGI will be the same, the full amount, for each of you. 

@howardjnl

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@howardjnl  Sorry to have to ask but did you spouse die in 2019?

First, entering our joint AGI for my wife in the fix it step doesn't work either. 

And yes, my wife passed away in June. 

Thanks, Amy, for help so far. 

There is a problem with Efiling when one spouse died during the year.  You have print and mail your return this year.

Thank you very much for the clear answer.  Pleased that you jumped into this conversation.

John

Thanks. This helps. Too bad I didn't see this earlier. I would have saved 3 hours of trying to figure this out. It would help if Turbotax explained this or gave the option to add a SpousePriorYearPIN since it's required. My submission was originally rejected because the AGI didn't match when it did match but tried a 2nd time because I didn't know what was used. The second rejection was for the same reason so I entered 0 as her Prior Year AGI, then I got the rejection because I didn't submit a PIN for my spouse. It doesn't make sense that the IRS requires this on a joint return when a spouse has died but why don't turbotax give the option to meet this requirement. I paid extra so I could submit my return electronically. I can't start my taxes until the beginning of March since my 1099s don't arrive until then. Now I must file by mail and wait 4-6 weeks for my refund. I think a refund should be expected. I could have used the basic and saved $20.

In my case, Intuit was not accurate when they say you must print and file return.  At first Turbo Tax entered the AGI from my 2019 1040X which was not the AGI IRS looked for.  Next to refile, I used the amount from last years 1040.  Just to confirm I am a retired CPA so I am not confused about AGI or where to find it.   I also downloaded my transcript to agree the amount I was using, I tried "0" each attempt was rejected with "incorrect spouse AGI" as the reason.  I printed and signed my return but in frustration I reentered everything on a competitors Free Return web filing.  Every line, AGI, Itemized Deductions, tax due on the Free Return was identical to the Turbo Tax return I had just printed. I efiled and it was accepted BY IRS in 10 minutes.  I did not file the paper! 

It is my opinion that Turbo Tax has something they can fix although they repeatedly say it is IRS at fault.  If it is not a Turbo Tax error, how do you explain the many people that were able to e-file by switching to a different provider?  Intuit, get with IRS fix the problem! 

TT is flat-out lying to people. I am sorry to see so many people believe them and are giving up and paper-filing.

PLEASE READ: You CAN e-file if your spouse passed away in 2019, just not with TurboTax or HRBlock. I successfully e-filed with FreeTaxUSA and received my refund 2 weeks later.  Probably other free programs work, too. 

Beth55

I got my AGI from the IRS and put it in as it stated and my taxes were still rejected so now have to mail in. I think this is a shame, is it a glitch from the IRS or what? I did have a spouse died would that make a difference I wonder? That is the only thing that changed.

Beth55

I am going to try that now the 0 and I hope it works. Did you enter 0 only once or did you have to try it a couple of times?

Beth55 - Read my previous posts. You cannot use TurboTax to efile if your spouse died in 2019. TT is submitting the infoirmation incorrectly to the IRS, which triggers a reject. You can either print out and send your return in by snail mail, or you can use another free online program (although HR Block has the same bug).
This is NOT an IRS issue, it is a TT problem. I was able to file using another online tax program, and my refund arrived in just two weeks.

Yeah I am getting that error too. Wife died last year. I will try another site too. Do not want to send via mail. will report back if works.

JJGEWG

IRS rejected the return saying AGI or Pin# from 2018 was not same as on file for spouse.  TurboTax didn't give option to put spouse pin# or AGI & AGI entry was correct.  TurboTax has a bug.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies