All my turbo tax information is missing. Where did it all go?

@PaulSperry 

Another SuperUser wondered if you had tried to archive your tax files earlier this year by burning them to a CD/DVD?  If so, perhaps that is how they ended up in a Roxio directory.

I just went to file my 2018 return (I had filed  an extension) and it asked me to update to get the latest updates.

When I then ran TTAX it couldn't find any returns. Searched for *.tax2018. It couldn't find anything. Then I tried

2017 and nothing. Help?

Is this possibly a microsoft update problem?

@ hillbilly wrote:

2017 and nothing. Help?

So are you using the CD/download program and referring to a TurboTax program update?   Did it mention "critical" and didn't provide any option other than to update in order to proceed?   

Sounds like you have already searched your computer for the *.tax2018 data file and the *.tax2017 data file.   The default file location is in the Documents>TurboTax directory, but could have ended up anywhere.   Another user above said that his were at least found in a different directory.

Do you by any chance use MS One Drive?   We have seen a few users whose tax data files were being stored on One Drive without user realizing it.

Also look in the Recycle Bin.   If you're using more than 1 Windows user account, log into each user account and search from within each account.

You asked:   "Is this possibly a microsoft update problem?"

I have no way of knowing, but some buggy MS updates in Windows 10 have caused loss of documents in the past--not just TurboTax files, but other documents as well.  The well-known example was the MS October 2018 update for Win 10.   Had you just recently done a Windows update?

If you still can't find the data file, phone TurboTax Support to see if they can help you.   That at least gives you a chance to report it to them and to see if other users have been phoning in.  You can use the form at the link below to schedule a call back, or it may provide a number. Hours are 5AM-5PM Pacific (8AM-8PM Eastern) Monday-Friday.

Where the form asks what product you are using, be sure in the dropdown menu to indicate "CD/download" and the proper operating system, then indicate which Edition.

https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact

Just reopened my tax return to finish and send in and same thing happened. Got "critical" need to update message. Couldn't open until ran update. My info transferred from 2017 return still intact but 16 hours of info inputted in April gone. Searched computer everywhere for intact file but none. Updated main disk only, but it located my personal file plus back up and wiped out both. Yikes, leaving on trip and no time to redo before due Oct. 15. (Using TurboTax Home & Biz CD copied on to a Mac.)

@Kat5 

I've added your screen name to a list I've reported to a Moderator on this issue following the "critical update."

I don't use a Mac, so I can't comment much about that OS.  I'll see if @macuser_22  wants to add anything in regards to a Mac.

You may wish to phone TurboTax Support using the method mentioned in the comment right above your post so they can log the issue and/or refer you to a tech support agent for more questioning.

@Kat5 wrote:

A update cannot remove or delete any information.   The tax data is in a .tax2018 data file that an update cannot touch.  The update only changes the application or forms but cannot affect the information in the  .tax file in any way since the update cannot occur until the application and  data file is closed. On open application cannot be updated on a Mac and a closed application cannot change the data file.  I have no idea what happened to your data but the update could not possibly do it.