turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

All my turbo tax information is missing. Where did it all go?

@PaulSperry 

Another SuperUser wondered if you had tried to archive your tax files earlier this year by burning them to a CD/DVD?  If so, perhaps that is how they ended up in a Roxio directory.

hillbilly

I just went to file my 2018 return (I had filed  an extension) and it asked me to update to get the latest updates.

When I then ran TTAX it couldn't find any returns. Searched for *.tax2018. It couldn't find anything. Then I tried

2017 and nothing. Help?

Is this possibly a microsoft update problem?

@ hillbilly wrote:

I just went to file my 2018 return (I had filed  an extension) and it asked me to update to get the latest updates.

When I then ran TTAX it couldn't find any returns. Searched for *.tax2018. It couldn't find anything. Then I tried

2017 and nothing. Help?

Is this possibly a microsoft update problem?

So are you using the CD/download program and referring to a TurboTax program update?   Did it mention "critical" and didn't provide any option other than to update in order to proceed?   

Sounds like you have already searched your computer for the *.tax2018 data file and the *.tax2017 data file.   The default file location is in the Documents>TurboTax directory, but could have ended up anywhere.   Another user above said that his were at least found in a different directory.

Do you by any chance use MS One Drive?   We have seen a few users whose tax data files were being stored on One Drive without user realizing it.

Also look in the Recycle Bin.   If you're using more than 1 Windows user account, log into each user account and search from within each account.

You asked:   "Is this possibly a microsoft update problem?"

I have no way of knowing, but some buggy MS updates in Windows 10 have caused loss of documents in the past--not just TurboTax files, but other documents as well.  The well-known example was the MS October 2018 update for Win 10.   Had you just recently done a Windows update?

If you still can't find the data file, phone TurboTax Support to see if they can help you.   That at least gives you a chance to report it to them and to see if other users have been phoning in.  You can use the form at the link below to schedule a call back, or it may provide a number. Hours are 5AM-5PM Pacific (8AM-8PM Eastern) Monday-Friday.

Where the form asks what product you are using, be sure in the dropdown menu to indicate "CD/download" and the proper operating system, then indicate which Edition.

https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact

Kat5
Returning Member

Just reopened my tax return to finish and send in and same thing happened. Got "critical" need to update message. Couldn't open until ran update. My info transferred from 2017 return still intact but 16 hours of info inputted in April gone. Searched computer everywhere for intact file but none. Updated main disk only, but it located my personal file plus back up and wiped out both. Yikes, leaving on trip and no time to redo before due Oct. 15. (Using TurboTax Home & Biz CD copied on to a Mac.)

@Kat5 

I've added your screen name to a list I've reported to a Moderator on this issue following the "critical update."

I don't use a Mac, so I can't comment much about that OS.  I'll see if @macuser_22  wants to add anything in regards to a Mac.

You may wish to phone TurboTax Support using the method mentioned in the comment right above your post so they can log the issue and/or refer you to a tech support agent for more questioning.

@Kat5 wrote:

Just reopened my tax return to finish and send in and same thing happened. Got "critical" need to update message. Couldn't open until ran update. My info transferred from 2017 return still intact but 16 hours of info inputted in April gone. Searched computer everywhere for intact file but none. Updated main disk only, but it located my personal file plus back up and wiped out both. Yikes, leaving on trip and no time to redo before due Oct. 15. (Using TurboTax Home & Biz CD copied on to a Mac.)

A update cannot remove or delete any information.   The tax data is in a .tax2018 data file that an update cannot touch.  The update only changes the application or forms but cannot affect the information in the  .tax file in any way since the update cannot occur until the application and  data file is closed. On open application cannot be updated on a Mac and a closed application cannot change the data file.  I have no idea what happened to your data but the update could not possibly do it.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

All that link did was have me reset my password. Thanks for having me clear my cache :(

@OregonRider 

I don't see that you have had any previous posts.  No one knows what your story is, what you are experiencing, or even what product you are using.   This is an old cluttered multi-user thread from last year.   You should start your own new thread, where you can explain your situation and where it will have more visibility for potential help.

To do that, you can use the blue "Ask a Question" button at this link:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/02/202

Space is limited in the title (question) line. It's mainly for a summary of your question.  However, there is a details box right below the question, where you can explain more.

This JUST happened to me.  Purchased TT.  Did the return over a week. I had acouple questions so waited overnight for answers from adviser.  Opened TT today and it wanted to do an update.  Now it is ALL GONE.  A WEEKS WORK.  I have no other accounts.  This is horrible 

@earlgray wrote:

This JUST happened to me.  Purchased TT.  Did the return over a week. I had acouple questions so waited overnight for answers from adviser.  Opened TT today and it wanted to do an update.  Now it is ALL GONE.  A WEEKS WORK.  I have no other accounts.  This is horrible 

Which CD/download software are you using--the Windows or Mac software?    Search your entire computer for any file ending in *.tax2019 file extension.   Also check the Recycle Bin.   In Windows, the default location for the *.tax2019 data file is the \Documents\TurboTax directory  (or \My Documents\TurboTax in prior versions of Windows).  But that can vary, depending on where you had been saving it.   I don't use a Mac, but we can get a Mac user to assist if needed.

You said "I have no other accounts."

What does that refer to?   Are you talking about additional user accounts on your computer?   If you do have any additional users accounts, you need to search for it in each one.   If you only have one user account, then that obviates that.

I know it won't help you now, but I always save an additional copy of the data file to a thumb drive after each work session.

If you want to speak to TurboTax Support, here's how to get a phone number, or it might schedule a call back.

Where the form asks what product you are using, be sure in the dropdown menu to indicate "CD/download" and the proper operating system, then indicate which Edition.

Hours are 5AM-9PM Pacific (8AM-12 Midnight Eastern), 7 days/week

https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact

I am on a PC.  The previous suggestion was to make sure you don’t have other intuit accounts.  I don’t. I am also well aware of how to search for files.  There are no .tax2019 files on my computer.  

I know what happened.  The file was there after the first and second time I started TT.  I even took screenshots of particular areas that I sent to my accountant.  When I opened Turbotax the third time, it wanted to “update” and I let it.  That deleted the file without a trace.  

I know this, because it just did it again. Luckily I was wary enough to save a backup.  But most won’t.  Think about the concept of having to back up your files every time you close them.  Its pretty ridiculous.   
Your software has a serious flaw. 

I found mine in the trash bin. And I found it by accident.

I think it's someone's twisted sense of humor at TT.

@ earlgray 

"Your software has a serious flaw."

I'm a fellow user and longtime forum volunteer.  This is mainly a user community forum--not a direct route to TurboTax Support, although I left info for you above on how to reach them.

Sorry you're having trouble, but there's not an easy explanation for what happened to your data file.  With millions of people using TurboTax this is not a common issue.  We see a few instances occasionally in this forum, but not very often.  TurboTax phone support likely gets some reports as well.

This is a thread from last year, where the threadowner was using Online Free Edition and couldn't find his online return..  That's why the first answer for the original threadowner  from last June mentions checking for other Intuit accounts.   Since you are using desktop software, that does not apply in your situation.

"I am also well aware of how to search for files."

Sorry, but there's no way to know what any individual user knows or not.   And in a massive forum like this there is a broad spectrum of users.  If someone suggests something you already know, it's OK to just ignore it.

You should discuss your issue with the folks at TurboTax.  I had left contact info for you in my previous comment above.  It's good to let them know in case it's an issue they are currently investigating so they can question  you further, and gives them an idea how often it's affecting users.

@ pweeks wrote:

I found mine in the trash bin. And I found it by accident.

I think it's someone's twisted sense of humor at TT.

Are you referring to your post from last year?    Yes, for an occasional user it has turned up in the Recycle Bin as I mentioned above as an easy place to check.   Has this happened to you again recently with 2019 product?  Or are you referring to your episode last summer?

@earlgray 

I had this exact thing happen to me just now - lost all my work from last weekend.  I cannot find any .tax2019 files in trash or elsewhere on the disk.  FRUSTRATING!!!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies