Get your taxes done using TurboTax

@ hillbilly wrote:

I just went to file my 2018 return (I had filed  an extension) and it asked me to update to get the latest updates.

When I then ran TTAX it couldn't find any returns. Searched for *.tax2018. It couldn't find anything. Then I tried

2017 and nothing. Help?

Is this possibly a microsoft update problem?

So are you using the CD/download program and referring to a TurboTax program update?   Did it mention "critical" and didn't provide any option other than to update in order to proceed?   

Sounds like you have already searched your computer for the *.tax2018 data file and the *.tax2017 data file.   The default file location is in the Documents>TurboTax directory, but could have ended up anywhere.   Another user above said that his were at least found in a different directory.

Do you by any chance use MS One Drive?   We have seen a few users whose tax data files were being stored on One Drive without user realizing it.

Also look in the Recycle Bin.   If you're using more than 1 Windows user account, log into each user account and search from within each account.

You asked:   "Is this possibly a microsoft update problem?"

I have no way of knowing, but some buggy MS updates in Windows 10 have caused loss of documents in the past--not just TurboTax files, but other documents as well.  The well-known example was the MS October 2018 update for Win 10.   Had you just recently done a Windows update?

If you still can't find the data file, phone TurboTax Support to see if they can help you.   That at least gives you a chance to report it to them and to see if other users have been phoning in.  You can use the form at the link below to schedule a call back, or it may provide a number. Hours are 5AM-5PM Pacific (8AM-8PM Eastern) Monday-Friday.

Where the form asks what product you are using, be sure in the dropdown menu to indicate "CD/download" and the proper operating system, then indicate which Edition.

https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact