turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

All my turbo tax information is missing. Where did it all go?

@rmadduluri wrote:

I had this exact thing happen to me just now - lost all my work from last weekend.  I cannot find any .tax2019 files in trash or elsewhere on the disk.  FRUSTRATING!!!

Please report your experience to TurboTax Support so they can question you.

Hours are 5AM-9PM Pacific (8AM-12 Midnight Eastern), 7 days/week

You can use this contact form to get a phone number, or it might provide a call back.  In the form be sure to choose "CD/download', operating system, and product edition.
https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact

Me too - even the program is missing from my computer.  What????

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

Please review mesquitebean's post above. You can call customer support for help troubleshooting your issue. 

Please refer to the link I reposted.

https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
sbc2633

I am so angry with TurboTax.  This same thing just happened to me - I let it update the app, and now my .tax2019 file is gone.  It wants me to start a new return.  That's it.  I'm done with TurboTax forever.

Just Happened to me... or so I thought. Perhaps this may help someone and this may not be the same for everyone.. depends on how your computer is configured in terms of Windows profile(s) having Administrator access or not. 

I personal never do my Day to Day work or browsing using a Windows profile with  Admin level User access (safer), therefor when I installed  Turbo tax 2019 and its updates thereafter,  I have to sign in (when prompted for admin level)  with the Windows account that has local administrator rights to install. What I found was that from that I hadn't noticed my 2019 files where being saved under the Administrator account profile documents folder by default, until I signed back in today and Turbo tax couldn't find my two returns I had been working on.  I found them under C:\Users\"admin level account name"\Documents\TurboTax\2019.  I had to manually move them to the standard User account I use for daily computer use..  C:\Users\"Daily standard User"\Documents\TurboTax\2019.

I just had the same thing happen to me. I had completed and saved my return and went to double check everything and ran an update. Poof, files are gone. Luckily I printed out a copy and hopefully this makes it easier to redo everything. Last time I buy Turdbo Taks. It's b.s. that I have to buy 2 copies(business and personal). HR Block doesn't do that to you.

Ootz
Returning Member

I had the same thing happen.  After hours of work, the Turbo Tax file is gone.  Using Turbo Tax 2019 Deluxe for Windows.  I've searched the entire hard drive, the Recycle Bin, and One Drive.  I tried calling support and there was nothing they could do.  All of my old Turbo Tax files still exist, but there is no .tax2019 file.  It wasn't in my Carbonite backup either, so I suppose it is not one of their default file types, or the file was open (I tend to keep Turbo Tax running for days, util I complete the return) and couldn't be backed up.

If you used the Windows Desktop program you need the file ending in .taxyyyy to open in it.  The tax files (and PDF files) should be in your Documents then in a Turbo Tax subfolder.  If you can't find them do a search for all files ending in .tax or .tax2019, etc.  And check the Recycle Bin.  For Windows 10 check the One Drive.  Did you make any backups?  Like DropBox.

If you don't have the main .tax file you might have one that starts with a Tilde sign ~ like  "~your name.tax2019".  That file is if your computer crashes or your real file gets lost or deleted or corrupt so you can restore it.

Find your Tax file in Windows

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-data-file/help/find-your-tax-data-file-tax-file-in-windows/00/...

Did you save your return?  In Windows you have to manually save, although it will ask if you want to save when you exit the program or switch to another return.

Try this......start the program.  Then go up to File-Open and seep if it finds your file.

gogolf

I have used TT for years and have never been subjected to losing all data input.  So infuriating!  I am using the same login ID, etc, so that is not the problem.  Where is it?  How can I trust your program?

Enough with the multiple ID and ending up in the trash as neither of those so called solutions worked.  I want my file back!  Did a search throughout my computer and the file *.tax2019 is nowhere.  When I do go back in, it's time to start all over again.  What's the solution?  Are you working on correcting this aggravating problem?

@gogolf   Sounds like you are using the Online web version?  Or did you install the Desktop CD/Download program?  

FOR ONLINE USERS

That's common to end up with multiple accounts. First LOG OUT of whatever TurboTax account you're logged into right now. Then use this TurboTax account recovery website to get a list of user ID's for an email address. Run the tool against any email addresses you may have used
https://myturbotax.intuit.com/account-recovery/

gogolf

I'm on a Mac, not windows.  Any ideas for a mac?

gogolf

I purchased the CD and then downloaded online with license #.  So I am apparently on the online version.  Should that even matter?

BTW, there is nowhere to self save, it's supposed to do that automatically according to their "help" section.

@ gogolf wrote:

I purchased the CD and then downloaded online with license #.  So I am apparently on the online version.  Should that even matter?

BTW, there is nowhere to self save, it's supposed to do that automatically according to their "help" section.

You wrote:  "I purchased the CD and then downloaded online with license #.  So I am apparently on the online version.  Should that even matter?"

We need to straighten out some terminology first.  We don't appear to be on the same wavelength with the terminology.  That's confusing the issue.   Based on that statement above, we still don't know with any certainty what exact product you are actually using.   A CD/download product is not an "online version."

Online TurboTax is done only through a browser at the TurboTax website.  If you downloaded and installed software onto your Mac, that is NOT Online TurboTax.   That is the desktop software (CD/download).   Or did you install the program on your Mac computer but then mistakenly used Online TurboTax through a browser instead of the installed software?

If you are indeed using the installed software, then that is not online TurboTax.   It would probably help if you described your issue in full.   If necessary, we can ask someone using a Mac to assist you.

For Online vs Desktop

Do you see a FORMS button in the upper right on Windows or upper Left on Mac? That is the CD/Download Desktop program.

Or do you show a black bar on the left side with Tax Home, Previous Taxes and menu items like My Info, Tax Tools that is the Online version.
If you go to a website where you have to enter your User ID and password to open your return, you're using TurboTax Online.

pgk313

I spent four hours in March doing my 2019 taxes on the desktop Mac version.  I went to open it this evening and, apparently, stupidly installed an update that Turbotax pop up said was critical.  Then when I opened my file, it was empty as if I had not spent those four hours last month entering everything in.  Turbotax seems to be getting worse, maybe this will be the last year for me.  I have searched everywhere and it is just only a blank file. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies