Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dm2
Level 3

After each update Tubotax Application keeps asking for License code to be activated

Having gone thru three support persons, one of whom was drunk. I still have no answer. Everytime that the software is updated it asks me to activate it again, why is that? 

Why is my 2019 TurboTax now asks me for activation? I bought that last year from WalMart online and I do not have the code any longer. It started asking for an activation code after I installed the 2020 version.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

160 Replies
MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

After each update Tubotax Application keeps asking for License code to be activated

Please follow the steps in this TurboTax Help Article to resolve your license activation issue:

TurboTax 2019 and TurboTax 2020 requests license activation at every launch

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

none of the methods work and there are no links to live help or a phone number so I can call someone. When I go to the support page, there is no info or links. I tried the link in your reply and it just goes back to the 4 methods, one of which it tells me not to use if I'm not an expert PC tech. the other 3 I've tried and still prompts me for activation code and says I've already installed on 5 

dm2
Level 3

These are the most ridiculous answers ever given in the link. If AV/AM/FW were the cause it would also give a problem when working in Turbotax software and clicking Help to go to your website which does with no problem or even inquiring on a question within the form.

Just to test your argument, disabled AV/AM/FW same as before.

Why would a reboot of the Modem have anything to do with this problem? your software is not the only software installed on my machine none others need rebooting!!??

Why would I need to use IPConfig or even change my DNS settings. Every time the machine is turned off both above acts takes place automatically.

The same problem occurs if I use three different providers, my regular home ISP, use my phone Hotspot from a totally different provider, and my business ISP at my office totally different from the other two.

What other solutions do you have?

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Please reach out to TurboTax Customer Support as your issue would be best resolved with one-on-one support. Please follow the instructions in this TurboTax FAQ to contact Customer Support: What is the TurboTax phone number?

dm2
Level 3

I have contacted Support, three times. Here is what I told

First time: The same thing as the article, the guy even admitted that he was just reading what it was given to him to read and had no other solution

2nd time right after the first time: The lady just said it must be your computer, remove the install and reinstall again!

3rd time the next day: Even though I told him about the previous two encounters, he just repeated the same thing as the first one.

So does TurboTax really know what the solution is as it does not look that we are the only two people having this issue?

dm2
Level 3

JC4

I found a solution that works. I do not however want to post it here as I am curious if TurboTax is even going to reply and find a solution. Let me know if want to know and I will send you the solution 

I have the same problem and am unable to get it resolved

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

Please see this Help Article for details and instructions to resolve this error.  

dm2
Level 3

Heather

The link goes to [Link address removed] however, the same email address and password which I use to login to the Turbotax site does not work. Resetting password and after 23 minutes no email to reset the password, and no it is not in the junk folder.

So how do I access this help document and why is it being hosted at lithium.com when so many people who have purchased Turbotax and have this problem instead of Turbotax.com?

JeanneLO
Intuit Alumni

You may need to uninstall and then reinstall TurboTax to stop this license code from prompting each time you access TurboTax. If you continue to have this issue please contact us.

@rjsupersano

abender

Please email me the solution. I have the same problem. Al Bender

[email address removed]

ChondelLO
Intuit Alumni

To help get you connected to the right person for assistance, please click the link below. 

What is the TurboTax phone number?

dm2
Level 3

the solution is:

Go to the folder where you saved your tax return. If you use Windows and choose all default values then it is in the Documents folder, in the TurboTax folder.

Just double click the return, it bypasses the screen where it asks you to enter the key again, it also doe no update. Once you are almost done with your return, then on top of the screen of the application where it indicates: File    Edit      View     Tool      Online

click Online and select "Check for update" and update your software. This step also bypasses the requirement to enter your key again.

I am having the issue where turbotax asks for activation key even though I have previously activated and used the program. All on same computer.  Solution?  Thanks.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies