turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jolhoft

Activation

I downloaded/installed TT Deluxe for Windows.  Activated just fine in Win7.  I ultimately had to upgrade to Win10.  No when opening TT in Win10, I need to activate.  I enter the activation code and it says it's been activated the maximum number times!  I installed/activated on one PC only, yet TurboTax says I can install on up to 5 machines!  What gives....why is no longer valid?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

36 Replies
RickG
Expert Alumni

Activation

Hey @jolhoft,

Welcome to the community! I was able to find a possible cause and resolution to your issue.  Take a look at this FAQ, it seems to be in line with what you are experiencing, but we may need to gather additional information if this doesn't correct the issue.  https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/turbotax-2019-requests-license-activation-at-every...

Let me know if this works or if you need further direction.

Respectfully,

RickG

Activation

I tried all those steps and besides why should I have to mess with my router or configuration to use your software?????    I think it's time for a refund because no one else on here has been able to get into Turbotax

Activation

Rather than just saying "reset your router" it would be more helpful if TurboTax could say exactly what ports/address is trying to be connected, or provide a way to test the connection. 

I have this same problem.  Obviously ttax is able to connect -- Wireshark shows it is talking just fine with some TurboTax servers.  Yet getting the "we could not connect to your computer" error.  

Activation

Same problem here. Stupid solutions supplied. Super irritating.

I have launched and activated 3 times now and I certainly hope I don't get blocked on the fifth time like the one user did.

Intuit and Quicken just suck when it comes to supporting their products. Suck!

jolhoft

Activation

I got a support ID#, then called 800-624-9066 for support.  It took a bit of time, but I was finally able to get a new activation code and download.  I tried it once to make sure it works!  I'm not about to try it "five times" and find out it won't work anymore.  I explained to the lady I spoke with that many others were having the same problem.  She said she'd pass it on, but we all know how that goes!  I'll wait to do my taxes when I have all my documentation on hand and the time to sit down and do it all at once.  Good luck guys and gals!

JEPJR

Activation

Got locked out of my 2019 Turbo Tax after 5 program starts.  Called the 800 number and 1 hour later was back in business.  They had me uninstall the existing Turbo Tax and then they pushed a new version to my Intuit account (yes, you have to have one or sign up for one)   They gave me a new activation code, but the pushed version doesn't seem to require it.  I have used it several times and it never has asked for the activation code.

I think it took longer to install and get working the 2019 version of Turbo Tax than the +25 previous years combined.

Activation

For those stuck on the activation step -- one thing that actually helped get past this step was to change my dns settings to override my router dns server with 8.8.8.8, or manually typing in your ISP's dns server.

I checked the logfiles found in C:\Users\[your username]\AppData\Roaming\Intuit\TurboTax\TY19\ErrorLog and found an error saying:

2020-01-17 20:15:34,283 [1] 2019.41.13.203 ERROR Intuit.Ctg.Map -
   System.Net.WebException: The remote name could not be resolved: 'oauth.platform.intuit.com'
   at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetRequestStream(TransportContext& context)
   at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetRequestStream()
   at Intuit.Ctg.Map.Net.WebResponse.GetPostResponseResult(Endpoint endpoint, String post, Encoding encoding)

This led me to try nslookup oauth.platform.intuit.com, which gave one timeout error before providing the address -- probably an error in the way my ISP has my router's DNS settings -- it takes one bad lookup before it gives the right answer.   I think the TTAX activation software is not doing a retry, or just barfs on the timeout.   Manually going to your network settings /  adapter settings / Internet Protocol v4 settings, then under DNS, enter 8.8.8.8, or perhaps whatever your ISP's DNS server settings are.  

That got me past activation, and federal, but then got stuck in endless state loop which eventually required a phone call and had to ask for separate state download.  

Activation

This is utter rubbish. Updated today and now activation is broken. So I can't access this app. Fortunately I'm at a point where I can switch to a decent software alternative. 

No oauth errors as reported above.

What half-wit activation system is involved here? Activated once and I should be fine.

Activation

Same problem here

This is very disappointed how they are handling this problem, and there a a lot of them with activation code.

TerukoL
Intuit Alumni

Activation

If you're using TurboTax CD/Download and have installed and activated the license number, you may receive multiple activation prompts, which results in TurboTax not launching.

Please click the TurboTax Help link, listed below, for assistance in solving this issue. 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/turbotax-2019-requests-license-activation-at-every...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Gregor
Returning Member

Activation

I've had to re-enter my Activation Code every time TurboTax updates, and now I've exhausted my limit of 5.  I've tried the simple steps suggested  (reboot router & modem, flush DNS, etc.) and none of this helps.

I'm really in trouble here, and the Contact Us link only works during business hours M-F.  And this is Saturday morning, may hours into my return.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Activation

Try rebooting.

I have the same problem

I've called 3 times finally they are sending me a new cd with new code, they told me there trouble with Amazon purchases and activation.

Good luck

JEPJR

Activation

I don't think there is much you can do until you get in touch with support and they push a new version with a new activation code to your account.  You will have to uninstall your existing version first (all data is saved).  At least that's the process I had to go through.   

Good Luck.

Activation

The steps do not work. This is very frustrating as I am in NC and my CD with the activation code is in FL at my other residence. I've been using Turbo Tax since the beginning in the 70s !!! 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies