turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mgkruk

Activation Screen Hangs on Load

In 20 years of using Turbotax I have never had an issue.  Now I can't even get it to come up? The activation screen comes up and just hangs.

At least tell me there is an error or something.

First time I feel like taking it back unless I can get this resolved.  As much as I love a screen that spins cool graphics I need to get going on my taxes!!

P.S. I cleared the cache, rebooted, yada, yada, yada.....

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

73 Replies

Try this -

Close the TurboTax program

Right click on the TurboTax desktop icon

Click on Properties

Click on the Compatibility tab

Check the box Run this program as administrator

Click on Apply and the OK

Start the TurboTax program

mgkruk

TT2019.JPGThanks for the effort. That is something I should have tried but unfortunately that did not resolve the issue.

Okay then.  Your best bet now is to contact TurboTax support for assistance.

Use this website to contact TurboTax support during business hours - https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact/
Support can also be reached by messaging them on these pages https://www.facebook.com/turbotax/ and https://twitter.com/TeamTurboTax

chiwoosung
Returning Member

I had the same issue and just resolved it.  Basically, I tried to disable as much stuff as possible.

Turn off Antivirus software (3rd party software, Windows Defender, etc)

Disable Windows Firewall.  There were 3 (public, private, etc).  I disabled all.

Ctrl+Alt+Delete, go to Startup tab, and disable every app running.

I don't know which one did the trick...  Good luck.

vsymbill

Had the same problem.  

Software Firewall was preventing it reaching its activation server.   I use Norton so I right clicked on the Norton Icon bottom right of window 10 screen and selected "disable smart firewall" for 15 minutes to complete the activation.   It got to the activation server ... I put in my License Code (new this year) and then it spun again for about 3 minutes before I got an all set Icon.  So bottom line temporarily disable your firewall so the software can go outbound to reach the license server.  Then you can re-enable it. 

Thank you. I had the same problem. Activation screen hanging on load. Disabling my firewall for a short time worked!

I had the same problem. I disabled all firewalls and anti-virus software, to no avail.  My situation is a bit different, being behind 2 routers and running Windows 10 as a guest machine under Linux, but disabling all that stuff did not work for me.  Although i was able to ping and browse various websites, i suspected the DNS was the problem, so i went to Settings->Network->Change Adapter Settings->(right click)Properties->Internet Protocol 4 (in list) and changed the DNS setting to manual configuration, using the DNS server of the first router off the cable (i.e. the ISP DNS); did the same thing for Internet Protocol 6. The "Activation" worked immediately. Not sure why the TT Activation server could not be found using the standard DNS configuration, which works for everything else, but i suspect that they are being a bit too clever with their server. I don't know whether the firewall or anti-virus settings mattered in my case.

Hello everyone,

Thanks for the tip. This worked for me! Intuit should have done a better job of coding the software to avoid such hang ups. Also, why do we need an activation code if we bought the software in person. They should only require an activation code if purchased online.

All downloaded/CD versions this year require a code to cut down on pirated versions being sold illegally ... sadly this is what the world has come down to. 

bethnor
Returning Member

*sigh*.  one gets the pirated issue thing, but i'm now attempting to do my taxes on 5/9/20.  looking on the web, this has been an issue since the release.  it's sad that intuit has not coded around the issue by this time.

Proposed solution didn't work for me :(

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

The best and most efficient way for you to connect with the right person to get the help you need is to select the version you are using below.

We're open daily from 5:00 AM to 9:00 PM PT through July 19 and will be open until midnight PT on July 15.

TurboTax Online

TurboTax mobile app

TurboTax CD/Download software

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I had installed and activated my TT2019 Deluxe (CD media) back in February and activated it without any problem.  I came across this problem today when I needed to file another return.  After google around a bit I found several threads that had suggestions, most of which did not work for me until I came across this post.

To summarize, I did a full uninstall followed by these steps:

Delete these folders:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Intuit\TurboTax\TY19
  • C:\Users\[Your username] \AppData\Roaming\Intuit\TurboTax\TY19
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\TurboTax\Deluxe 2019
  • C:\ProgramData\Intuit\TurboTax\TY19

I then used a cleaner tool (CCleaner) and scrubbed my registry followed by a reboot of the computer.

Running the installation at this point was smooth and after the updates (which you can't bypass for some reason) I saw the activation window popup on screen and it was blank for a few seconds followed by the activation prompt inside that window.  I entered my code and success!  The application launched and I was able to edit prior returns and create the new one.

Some of the errors I had in my log prior to doing all this i've listed below:

• (0x00003fdc) [LOG_CLOUD] [LoggerWrapper.cpp(58) @ function : log_cloud] {"tag":"ProductActivation","levelName":"ERROR","message":"Verification of entitled product activations is unsuccessful"}
  •  (0x00003014) [LOG_CLOUD] [LoggerWrapper.cpp(58) @ function : log_cloud] {"tag":"ProductActivation","levelName":"ERROR","message":"Error on decrypt value using AES encryption algorithm.\nIssue in Decrypting."}

I hope this helps at least one person struggling with this issue.

Thanks @DrMcole for your post.

@mattsocal if you haven't solved your problem posted here

I purchased a Turbo Tax Deluxe 2020 Download today. I was able to download it. When I ran install, it installed Turbo Tax, ran updates, and then asked if we should run Turbo Tax. I said yes, the Activate screen came on and it froze. I deleted and reinstalled it, several times.

I have a brand new Dell Inspiron. When I went online for help, I saw many complaints the same as mine. And half of those said they had a new pc. So I tried installing Turbo Tax 2019, which I used last year, on my old laptop, with no issues. I did the same thing.

My wise husband began looking for what was different. After hours of fussing, he changed the display from 1920x1080 to the same as my old machine, 1366x768. It now works. I hope this helps others as well.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies