turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

Activation Screen Hangs on Load

@mChina have you tried to change the resolution as @keysmusic suggested?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I changed the resolution, and yes. the Activation Screen finally worked. The same problem occurs on the screen to enter data for credit card payment. The same solution unfreezes this screen. However, Customer Service at TurboTax was unaware of this problem or solution, nor were the experts at Just Answer. No problem as this is the last time I use TurboTax after 16 straight years. 

I had the same issue. Here's what I did to fix the issue:

• Go into Advanced Firewall Settings (I use AVG)
  • Find the Rule for Intuit Update Service and change it to "Ask" - mine was previously set to auto-decide.

Greg F

I had the activation hang up on TurboTax Home & Business 2020.  Based on other comments, I temporarily disabled all 3 Windows firewall settings, but that didn't help.  I re-activated the Windows firewalls and turned off my Nord VPN software and was able to activate TurboTax.  Apparently, the VPN software was preventing the TurboTax activation process.

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

@keysmusic recommended changing the resolution, have you tried that?

emteetank

Core issue is something on the computer is blocking the activation request from the program from reaching the activation server. This is what I did and it worked.

Turned off Virus Protection (No effect)

Turned off firewall (No effect)

Turn off your my NordVPN (virtual private network: ie NordVPN) - That Did it!!!!!

Background: I had the same problem where the activation screen hangs with the spinning dots. Determined that it is because the activation cannot reach the server. I let it run all night and there it was in the morning. I bought my copy from Amazon. Then I called Turbotax and they provided me with their download. Both versions got stuck at activation. I have about 3 hours intuit (get it). Anyway, it was my VPN that was blocking it. All is good. Good luck!

EJD6817

I found this and it works.  Change screen resolution temporarily to 800 x 600. Activate TT and the change back.

I talked to a Turbotax representative who recognized the problem. It appears that there are a number of display screen resolutions that cause the activation window (where you are to enter your license code) to fail. Mine was set to 1920x1080. We tried several resolutions and found that 1360x768 worked for me. Complicating factor: I was using an external display via a docking station and no  resolution worked for the activation window until I went back to the native display. This problem seems to affect only the activation window. Once past that step I went back to my normal configuration and everything was fine.

This exact problem just happened to me.  I have a new computer and the screen resolution was set to 1920x1080.  My activation screen was frozen until I changed the system display resolution to 1366x768. (I chose that one because someone else had suggested it.)  That was all it took to fix the problem. Instant success!  After the activation, I changed my display resolution back to the recommended and the rest of Turbotax deluxe 2020 seems to be working normally.

It opens up to the activation screen and just keeps loading.

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Have you tried adjusting your screen resolution as others have suggested on this thread?

@jrpaterson

Have you tried several different display resolutions. I used 800x600 to resolve the activation screen, but when I had the same symptom trying to get to the payment screen for my state forms, it didn't work on 800x600 either. However, it did work on 1024x768. So I would try a few.

selenya

Thanks to you folks in the community for helping me solve this issue.  The change in screen resolution did the trick, although I had to copy & paste my registration code into the screen because I couldn't type it in for some reason.  I can't believe there's a bug like this and Intuit hasn't done something to fix it or offer a patch or explanation.   

novagtr

Tried running after checking the "Run As Administrator" box, and the activation white box now comes up with a small blue circle in the middle of the previously blank white screen (and then still freezes)

Thanks for asking this question.    I ran into the same problem.

I ran this as an admin and it didn't work.   Fortunately, re-starting my computer and re-launching seemed to finally do the trick.    I only lost 45 minutes of my life trying to get this POS running. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies