turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Accidentally filed Non-Filer, how to fix

Sounds good thanks a lot

Bjuarez

I have done the same exact thing...I'm not so much worried about my tax return rn... Just wondering if by adding this info to the nonfiler will I still get the stimulus or is it going to deem us uneligible ? 

I goofed and used the non filer: ENTER YOUR PAYMENT DETAILS(notice that doesnt read FILE YOUR NIL TAX RETURN) very early after it was introduced on 4/10. Many responses include condemnation for the error MANY of us made, but that set-up looked nothing like a return. It was a half page, 2 tab flim flam looking script a jr high class could have engineered. And it was misleading. I understand that NOW the associated guidance includes very clear warnings but early in its inception it wasnt that clear.

A person who had not filed taxes in recent years and had YET to file their 2019 return and also a person struggling and panicking that the IRS gets their deposit info, is the prime candidate for this error.

This is large scale whoopsiedaisy and it should warrant us a workaround fix so we may go ahead and efile our returns. We get our refunds, the IRS doesnt get a boatload of extra paper returns.

If the IRS is really going to stand behind it's new MODERNIZATION PLAN  ... this would be a prime candidate situation to show us.

What's the benefit of mailing a paper return? Nothing. It can get lost. Someone could discern my 1s for 7s. It's nothing more than some antiquated form of punishment and it should be abolished. Efiling is more efficient, accurate and saves taxpayers money reducing the "old number2 and paper" returns.

Come on uncle Sam... help us out. This is our first time doing corona. It's your first time doing corona. We mess up it costs us 6 months waiting. You mess up ... we can like it or lump it. We learn from our mistakes. Delete those bogus nil returns now. They are absolutely worthless since you've gleaned ENTER PAYMENT DETAILS from them.

PEOPLE FIRST INITIATIVE : "In addition to extending tax deadlines and working on new legislation, the IRS is pursuing unprecedented actions to ease the burden on people facing tax issues. During this difficult time, we want people working together, focused on their well-being, helping each other and others less fortunate."

------

Sorry.

To answer your question, yes I received the stimulus check after mistakenly using the non filer ENTER YOUR PAYMENT DETAILS form. When I later tried to efile it refused saying it was a duplicate ssn.

Would i rather have my $4,980 refund I'm owed? Pft!!!! YES

Help! I also used non-filers, but it was rejected by the IRS.

I'm not required to file, because I get SSDI. 

I don't owe them, nor do they owe me.

All I want is my stimulus money.

Will I still get it, even if I choose not to amend the non-filers form.

I really can't amend, because it wants bank info and I don't have a bank account.

I have a Direct Express card I had hoped I could use on the non-filers.

So, I only want to know if I will still get the stimulus and I wonder if that will slow it down? 

Thank you

CatinaT1
Employee Tax Expert

If your non-filer return got rejected, the IRS didn't receive anything.  

This FAQ site should answer your question.

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payment-information-center

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you so much.

I was afraid by doing what I did, they'd mail it.

My paper return was mailed in before I in error filled out the non filer. My NF was accepted and my stimulus is scheduled to be deposited 4/30. I can't amend my mailed return since the IRS already has it. Is there anything else I should do?

brianos17

If I accidentally efiled on the non filier website.  Do I have to fill out a 1040 form or can I just mail the correct return and put a cover sheet stating I accidentally filed on the non filier website and this is my correct return?

How did you do this I did the same thing 

I also don't think me dang thing! So oes this mean tht I cannot efile at all now? I have to mail it all in to get my refund? I still haven't received my stimulus check either. It says it's posted to be be deposited into my bank account April 29th but that's today and still nothing. However, I received a 316$ deposit on the 27th from TCS treas tax. Please help?!? I don't understand why and my fiance also filed non filers and my son was supposed to get his 500$ but only the 316$ has been deposited so far. Why? It was all supposed to be deposited today! 

Systematic problem. Too many people committed this error for the irs to overlook.

I did exactly this, and was hit with a rejected email after I tried to efile. This is the first time this has happened and it accepted my return, but stating IRS will have to see if I qualify. This was over 2 weeks ago. I went ahead and mailed in my return, but do I also mail in the same return to NY state as well. I apologize if this seems like an ignorant question as this is my first time mailing in anything. Also when I mailed to IRS, I did not include copies of my 1099 or  W2s. Will this be a problem? Should I mail it all over? @eunos2345 @tjjustice14569 @Mikeeslava81 

Hello,

What if I filed Form1040 in March by mailing paper to IRS but accidentally used non-filer tool in April, and so far I didn't receive my tax return but I received my stimulus payment (I'm qualified for the stimulus payment, but still made the mistake using non-filer). Any actions I should do in this situation? Thank you ahead.

My situation is the same as yours, please share any answers you got. Thank you!

Someone answered saying, since my return was rejected, nothing went to the IRS.

It's like I didn't file.

Personally, I still wonder if Turbo Tax, company who I had to get an account from in order to efile, hasn't somehow flagged my name which informs the IRS Im planning on filing, just need to make corrections.

I have no plans to file.

I only did what I did to get stimulus check.

Ugh

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies