turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Troyer
Returning Member

Accidentally filed Non-Filer, how to fix

Question, since my nonfiler form was rejected, and I didn't know I didn't have to do it until I did. Do I need to correct it in order to receive my stimulas check. I am on SSI. 

Someone answered my similar question on here.

She said that because it was rejected, it's as if I never did it.

I don't know though.

I do know by doing it" it caused me to have an account with Turbo Tax.

The IRS really left us on SSI in the dark.

Troyer
Returning Member

I hope they are right. I don't want to mess anything up and wait even longer, but at this point idk what to do 

Hi there.  I accidentally filled out a non filer form as a SSI recipient with no kids or dependants and it got accepted. Did i screw my chances of getting a check or slow down the process?

Same here. I filled non filer form thinking that it was for people who didn't filed tax in 2018 as I was in need of stimulus due to job loss. I found that my husband filed jointly in 2018 and I was dependent. Also, came to know that he already filed our tax for this year in March which I thought he will file in the month of May, my bad. Now IRS accepted my non filer form. I need to let them know we already filed for 2019 and need to cancel this?

Hi, I did the same mistake.. My husband already filed 2019 tax jointly in March which I came to know yesterday and I thought he is filing in May, my bad. I was filed as dependent in 2018 by my husband as I was not working. So, I filled the non filer thinking it was for 2018 and return is accepted. How to cancel my non filer return?

How long has it been since u filled out the non filer form? If you just did it you may have time to kill it. You have to confirm your email address before freefillableforms will accept it.

You said it was accepted, but do u mean free fillable forms accepted it or the irs has in fact accepted it?

Hi, thank u for ur respone. Well, I filled on 1st of May early morning and I got an email saying return accepted on 1st May evening saying that "Congrarulations your return accepted" . I found out that my husband already filed 2019 tax and it is already accepted and in process. I don't know how IRS has accepted non filer if my details are already in their file.

I did the same thing. Have you gotten any answers ?? I still haven't gotten my stimulus check

An exception, or rejection, means the company," Free Forms", or whatever its called, has accepted your form.

So, they accepted it and will file on your behalf.

This company checks that your form is correct before filing it.

That's all rejection or acceptance means.

This is what an accountant told me.

The IRS, will notice your was filed twice and will reject it, along with a rejection code that explains why it was rejected.

Free Forms was suppose to notice this and reject it, but they didn't, so, now the IRS will reject the second filing.

• Now, since you both filed

I'm on SSDI and still no stimulus check.

The tool ," Get My Payment" says that my "status is unavailable".

I guess if I don't get the stimulus, when things open back up, I'll go to a tac accountant, or preparer, and probably file taxes, even though I'm not required to.

Unless the tax preparer tells me not to.

I'll follow his/ her advice.

Good luck.

Hi Joheat55,

Thank u so much for this information, appreciate it. I was so worried. Lesson learned, I'll definitely check with my husband before filling next time onwards. Hope IRS reject my non filer form. I still don't know why they send me an email stating that "IRS accepted your return". But this email is not from IRS, it was from free file.

Is there possibility IRS can reject my non filer return after the free filer team notified that IRS accepted my returns?

The IRS will see that the social security numbers were used twice and will delete the second one

Okay, thank you so much for helping me with all the information. It is such a relieved. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies