turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I want to upgrade from free and no upgrade option is on menu. How can I upgrade?

ITs simple - i used free version, i did not qualify, I want to upgrade but no upgrade from free option appears on scree menu - help!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

I want to upgrade from free and no upgrade option is on menu. How can I upgrade?

Please clarify.   I suspect you are not using regular Free Edition, but are instead using another free product called TurboTax Free File Program at a special website. Is that correct?  If so, I have an answer to give you that will tell you some options if you found you do not qualify after starting at TurboTax Free File Program.

I think you are correct I never downloaded software  that I am aware of it seems 100% online . YEs i found out I do not qualify  and  my calculations are based on last year as well so its not like i can just start new as my  pass through losses  need to carry forwrd into this year - I can print out but it seems no fields to   provide a sigature as its a eform - what good is it to  print out and eform??

If you used TurboTax Free File Program, ended up not meeting the qualification to use that version and now need a paid edition, I can tell you how to either get to a paid Online Edition or how to download your already-started *.tax2018 data file to downloaded software to finish the return offline.   That's the only method that would not require starting over.

Did you use Online TurboTas last year for 2017?  If so, and if your 2017 info transferred into your 2018 TurboTax Free File Program return, you can download the *.tax2018 data file which contains the transferred info and finish it in desktop software (CD/download) without starting over.

If you wanted to use an online product, however, i.e., Online TurboTax instead of the Turbo Free File Program you didn't qualify for, you can no longer use the same account (User ID) that you used for Turbo Free File Program.   To switch to Online TurboTax and upgrade, you'd have to have another account or create a new account (User ID) at Online TurboTax.    If your 2017 info is in the account with TurboTax Free File Program, however, then when you start a new Online return, the 2017 data will NOT transfer into the other/new account.

If you have a 2017 online PDF you need to view, but access to it is locked, then the way to unlock it is to pay for a 2018 online return in advance.  Purchasing 2018 software also qualifies to unlock it..   TurboTaxJessicaV provided a FAQ below that explains how to get access to it, but for some reason there is a technical problem and the FAQ is showing as "archived".  I've reported it.
JessicaV

If you need your AGI from last year to e-file but are having trouble finding it, you can just print and mail your return (you don't need your AGI for that).

For info on getting last year's AGI, go here instead.

To access your prior year return before you file, you have to:

1. Be signed in to the same TurboTax account you’ve used in previous years.
  2. Be in an upgraded version of TurboTax (or add PLUS to TurboTax Free Edition).
  3. Pay for your upgrade.

After that, you should be able to find your prior year return on the first screen when you sign in (or select Tax Homein the left-hand menu to get there) under Your tax returns & documents.

For information on how to access your prior year return after filing, go here.

I use TurboTax CD/Download

If you’re using the mobile app, we’ve got instructions for that too.

Other ways to get a prior year return:

TurboTaxJessicaV
Is that the link you meant to post?  The blue https:// link displayed above seems to go to an archived FAQ.   Or maybe there is some kind of hiccup.   It seems to have only been revised 12 days ago, so I'm not sure why it is doing that.  I'll ask a Mod to check it.
JessicaV

sorry about that, i have updated from the previous FAQ.

That's OK.  It was some kind of glitch.  The Moderator has restored the original FAQ now.   So it's available once again at:

FAQ:  How do I access my prior year 2017 return?
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4721817-how-do-i-access-my-prior-year-2017-return">https://ttlc.in...>
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies