turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

codyviox

Do I need to sign mailed return

I have to mail in my federal and state returns. There are places to sign them. Do I need to sign them or can I just mail them?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

A tax return that is being mailed and not e-filed must be signed and dated by the tax payer (and spouse if applicable).  Any form W-2's and form 1099's that have taxes withheld need to be included with the mailed tax returns.

View solution in original post

15 Replies

A tax return that is being mailed and not e-filed must be signed and dated by the tax payer (and spouse if applicable).  Any form W-2's and form 1099's that have taxes withheld need to be included with the mailed tax returns.

boats444

I need to look at my returns
sannehill

Where do you sign? Just anywhere? this is no place to sign ( I am not filing jointly and that appears to be the only place where a signature box is placed)

Look at the bottom of your tax return for the words "Sign Here"  There is a place for your own signature and a place for your spouse to sign if you are filing a joint return.  You also need to write in the date you signed it.  Use a pen.
When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS received the return.
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
dbeck355

My state return doesn't have that line (MA). Also filing in AZ and it does have the line as expected.

Just look in section 2 of form 1 of MA State for Sign Here

Just look in section 2 of form 1 of MA State for Sign Here

I wasn't able to sign my return

@patstone888   You have added on to a two year old thread.  We do not really understand your problem.  Could you please start your own new thread with your own question?
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I was going e file but it was rejected. now I am going to mail it there is no place to sign 

Did they accept your return? 

xgta13

Does turbo tax mail my return

sammynsara1027
Returning Member

how do i sign tax return

@xgta13 NO---TurboTax does not mail your tax return for you.  You have to print it, sign it and date it in ink, and mail it yourself.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/printing/help/how-do-i-print-and-mail-my-return-in-turbotax-online...

TurboTax will not know anything about your mailed return, and will continue to show “Ready to Mail” on your account.  TurboTax will not know that you put your tax return in an envelope and took it to a mailbox.  TurboTax does not get updates on mailed  (or e-filed) returns.

Wait about 4 weeks from when you mail a return and then you can check the status on the IRS site. https://www.irs.gov/refunds

State returns have to be mailed to the state.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899433-how-do-i-track-my-state-refund

If you mail a tax return (or a payment) to the IRS, it is a good idea to use a mailing service that will track it like UPS or certified mail so you will know it was received.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies