Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Official COVID-19 (Coronavirus) stimulus payment thread

I'm in a similar boat (dependent for 2018 taxes and independent for 2019 taxes). I did my 2019 taxes awhile ago and have received my federal refund but have yet to see my stimulus money deposited, yet my twin brother has received his $1,200 via direct deposit. We both are eligible for the $1,200, yet only one of us has received it.

My son is also 23 and was a student in 2018.  I claimed him on my 2018 taxes because he was finishing up his last year of college.  He did start working in 2019 and I filed his taxes in February - his refund was direct deposited into his bank account.  He did get a stimulus payment mid-April via the same account.  The stimulus payment is supposed to be based off of the latest information that the IRS has - 2019 tax returns if they have been filed, 2018 returns if not.  Therefore, you should be getting a stimulus.  I'm not sure why you haven't gotten it yet, especially with your refund being direct deposited.  Good luck.  

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Go here:  https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payments

This FAQ site may also answer your questions.

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payment-information-center

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I am currently trying to e-file my 2019 tax return bu I am getting the "Duplicate Social Security Number" rejection. This is probably because I previously submitted my info to the IRS in order to receive the stimulus payment . At this point is my only option to file by return by mail? Is there really no way to simply e-file an amended tax return? 

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

If you submitted the non-filer form, it was processed by the IRS as an original filed return.  Any subsequent filing cannot be filed electronically; it has to be mailed in.

If you file your return with a Form 1040X it will be processed like an amended return. 

However, here are two other options:

1. You don’t need to fill out the 1040X to get your return processed.  All you need to do is indicate in a cover letter to your 1040 that you filed a return to get the stimulus check and that this is a corrected return.
  2. You can simply write ‘1040X amended return’ on the top of the paper 1040.

Right now the IRS is not processing paper returns, but there will be no way for your to efile, so this is your only option.  Be prepared for a longer than usual processing time.

@CatinaT1 

Where is it posted that you do not need to send in a 1040X ???    That you can just send the 1040 with an "i was dumb" cover note.  How do you know the IRS will accept these returns ?  

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

This is from the Internal Revenue Manual:

21.5.3.1 (09-07-2017)

Program Scope and Objectives

1. Purpose: This IRM contains the guidelines for identifying claims and the processing steps necessary to complete the case, along with the required taxpayer notification. Claims are usually filed on Form 1040-X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, Form 1120-X, Amended U.S. Corporation Income Tax Return, Form 843, Claim for Refund and Request for Abatement, Form 8849, Claim for Refund of Excise Taxes, or one of the Form 94XX series returns, but may be made in an informal written inquiry. Accounts Management (AM) will expedite the resolution of all disaster claims. Claims include:

• Claims for Credit

• Claims for Refund

• Requests for Abatement

Internal Revenue Manual 21.5.3.4 General Claims procedures states that ‘an informal written inquiry that includes everything necessary to input a correct adjustment’ will be processed.

https://www.irs.gov/irm/part21/irm_21-005-003r 

Also, some professional software actually allows for filing of superseded returns.  https://support.cch.com/kb/solution.aspx/sw23174

How do I fix this the IRS rejected what I sent them last night formica World relief stimulus check and now I have to wait for a letter to come in the mail this is bul**bleep** if you would have told me everything was going right the first time I would not have filed again but you gave me no inside of what was going on tell me how do I fix this quick fast in a hurry

And I usually do not file taxes at all non filing status considering I am on SSI but I was told by your TurboTax I had to file when I usually do not file at all this is not right to tell people they have to file taxes when they do not have to and then they get all mixed up and y'all do nothing to help or fix it right with the IRS you leave it up on our shoulders to do when we should have never filed to begin with

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Go here to fill out the non-filer tool.  This will actually file a return as as non-filer:  https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payments

This FAQ site may also answer your questions.

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payment-information-center

@CatinaT1 

I have issues with your answer ... this 21.5.3.1 is in reference on how an IRS employee can expedite an audit ... if the taxpayer sends information instead of the amended return  ... this is not the same thing as filing a 1040 instead of a 1040X to correct an erroneous filing. 

This is from the Internal Revenue Manual:

21.5.3.1 (09-07-2017)

Program Scope and Objectives

1. Purpose: This IRM contains the guidelines for identifying claims and the processing steps necessary to complete the case, along with the required taxpayer notification. Claims are usually filed on Form 1040-X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, Form 1120-X, Amended U.S. Corporation Income Tax Return, Form 843, Claim for Refund and Request for Abatement, Form 8849, Claim for Refund of Excise Taxes, or one of the Form 94XX series returns, but may be made in an informal written inquiry. Accounts Management (AM) will expedite the resolution of all disaster claims. Claims include:

• Claims for Credit

• Claims for Refund

• Requests for Abatement

Internal Revenue Manual 21.5.3.4 General Claims procedures states that ‘an informal written inquiry that includes everything necessary to input a correct adjustment’ will be processed.

https://www.irs.gov/irm/part21/irm_21-005-003r 

And this article on superceeding is in reference to the form 1065 or 1120S  not the 1040 :

Also, some professional software actually allows for filing of superseded returns.  https://support.cch.com/kb/solution.aspx/sw23174

According to my professional program DRAKE the only way to correct the registration filing is to formally amend the return and mail it in ... I am going to trust they know what is correct at this time so it will be the only information I will be reporting in this forum until the the IRS web site says otherwise. 

I just tried to E-file our 1040 for 2019 and I cannot do so because our SSN was already used for filing??? I got my transcript from the IRS and it looks like we filed a return for 2019 with $1 entered for income. I'm thinking that when we filed for the stimulus using our 2018 data, the IRS created a bogus tax return for 2019? Has anybody encountered this problem? How can I file my actual 2019 return now?

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

If you registered using the Non-filer portal for the stimulus check, then you will not be able to e-file your return.  You will need to mail it in.

Sign into your TurboTax account.  Select File.  You will follow the steps until you get to Step 3.  On this screen, be sure to select you want to File by Mail.

This will allow you to print out your returns with filing instructions so you can sign and mail in your returns.  The following link has additional information to assist you with printing your returns.

Printing your return 

Thanks! Just to clarify, I don't need to file an amended return, correct?

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

No.

It will be an amended return as your original return was filing for the stimulus registration.

See the attached link for instructions to help you amend your return. 

How to amend my return

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies