Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Incorrectly Listed as Dependent, Missed Stimulus Checks

In 2019 and 2020 I filed as a dependent, as I lived with my parents still. Between those two years, however, I became an independent, as I turned 24 in 2020. I know this because my parents return was rejected and instructed to resubmit without me listed as a dependent. Because I was listed as dependent in 2020, I was ineligible to receive the stimulus checks from the federal and state governments for the coronavirus pandemic. I was wondering if there is something I can do to change my filing status for those years and perhaps get those stimuls checks I should have received but missed out on. I looked into 1040X but there is little to do with dependency on that form and my status as independent will not change my standard deduction or AGI, so no numbers need to actually change.

Thanks in advance.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

If you answered the question in My Info and said that you CAN be claimed as a dependent for 2020 then that is what made you ineligible for the stimulus check.   The EIP payments have nothing to do with your 2019 return at this point, so do not worry about 2019.   If you could not be claimed as a qualifying child OR a qualified relative for 2020 then you can amend your 2020 return and change the answer in My Info to say that you CANNOT be claimed as someone else's dependent.  Then use the recovery rebate credit in Federal Review to get the 1st and/or 2nd stimulus payments.  There is no place to enter anything about the 3rd payment but you can get that on a 2021 return if you are not someone else's dependent for 2021.

Select your tax year for amending instructions:

The stimulus check is an advance on a credit you can receive on your 2020 tax return.  If something went wrong or you did not get the stimulus check in 2020, you can get it when you file your 2020 return in  2021

The Recovery Rebate Credit will be found in the FEDERAL REVIEW section. ( you should see "Let's make sure you got the right stimulus amount”)  If you are eligible it will end up on line 30 of your 2020 Form 1040.

Make sure that you enter ALL of the stimulus money received for the 1st and 2nd stimulus for yourself, your spouse and your children.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/economic-impact-payment-information-center-topic-j-reconciling-on-your-...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Something doesn't add up.  If  your parent's return rejected that means they  tried to claim you  but  you claimed yourself first as independent. Which would be right.   So you should have received the Stimulus payments on your 2020 return.  Check your 1040 line 30 for the Recovery rebate credit.   Do you have an amount on line 30?

I did not file as independent. My tax return as dependent was accepted and processed entirely with me as dependent. I was only alerted to me being independent when my parents return was denied.

I do not have an amount on line 30.

If you filed your return as being a dependent then why did your parents return reject? Check near the top of your 1040.  Where it says Standard Deduction.  Is it checked for someone can claim you?

Yes you can amend to claim yourself and to get the Recovery rebate credit on line 30 for the missed Stimulus payments.   

@megareader 

The only way to change your own dependent status on Form 1040-X is to put it in Part III Explanation.
Leave Part I empty.

The following worked for my niece and should work for you also.

"Parent claimed me as a dependent and I filed accordingly.
This was an invalid claim because I was not under age 24.
Amending return to indicate that no one can claim me."

The Rebate credit goes on Line 15. Check Other and enter "Rebate Credit" in the space provided.

It will be many months until your check arrives.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies