Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My turbotax file is corrupted and unreadable. How do I fix it?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

17 Replies

Sorry - there is not way to fix a corrupted .tax file.  Hopefully you saved a backup or made periodic  system backups to recover a file from.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

This is unacceptable.  I have re-entered information twice and each time after saving; and even saving periodically when going to submit and print it says the file is corrupted.  I need to finish taxes and cannot keep going back in to re-enter all information.  Something is wrong with the software. 

rrinken

I have completed 3 returns, 2 without any issues, 1 I had a corrupt file when I went to reopen...  so I rekeyed everything and saved after deleting the original file.  I have not filed any of the 3 but the same one shows corrupt again now.  It almost has to be something related to the file content???  I know it sounds illogical but I don't believe in coincidence.  

TerukoL
Intuit Alumni

Since you continue to experience the same problem, even after following the troubleshooting steps, please click the link to contact TurboTax customer support for further assistance.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

This happened to me was on phone with support for over 2 hours with no fix. So I saved all my files on a flash drive unninstalled every turbo tax version. Then did a search for turbo tax after unninstal on C: drive and deleted everything. then fresh install  of new turbotax now it works just fine

KatrinaLO
Intuit Alumni

@n2deep0

Happy to hear you were able to resolve the issue and TurboTax is working for you now.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Only time I used the online download and this is what happened really makes me leery of using Turbotax again after 18 years of use.  I can only get 1 page of my 2021 Turbotax . Seems like it became corrupted after the initial start update that it does every time you open it. I filed an extension in April and everything was fine and complete. I was only waiting  to add one thing that got lost in mail.  Last time I open I lost everything except 1 page.... even on my backed up copy!  How does that happen???   It keeps saying to redownload but that isn't working either. After searching for months I finally found and bought the hard disk,( It came open so I think it has been used ).  I am worried that if I load it and it updates it will corrupt it too.  Can anyone advise me on that? Can that happen?

Oh and If I restore my computer before it updated would that take the updates off??? 

I have the same issue. I loaded TurboTax 2022 H&B last night. As the program loaded it said it found my previous year's returns, but and when I tried to upload last years tax info the program told me the 2021 tax return files, both TT file format and the TT PDF, were corrupted. I reloaded TT 2021 and it wouldn't load the 2021 returns either. I get the same when I try to upload TT backup file copies made last spring. Those returns were filed last March and there were no issues.  This is really ridiculous, folks. I'm paying $125 for THIS? Please fix your software. I've been a TT user since the mid 90s. If I have to reload everything manually TT and I are done.  

After several unhelpful calls to TurboTax support, I made a Eureka discovery about this issue.  I had exact same problem - TT 2022 could pull up my 2021 return file on initial screen but when I tried to “transfer return” - crickets.  I did steps 1 and 2 of solution here, followed by reversing step 2 (because after step 2, my TurboTax files disappeared entirely because they were on the cloud (One Drive).  After doing this, I was able to access and transfer 2021 return to 2022 TT.  I figured out something the TT support staff could not.

https://www.cbackup.com/articles/cloud-file-provider-is-not-running.html#A1

Have had this same problem for several years. Completed tax return saves and reopens fine until I try to upload into the next year's return. Then it's corrupt. Now with the 2022 version I've reloaded my info manually three times and each time the program says my file is corrupt when I try to reopen. I too have used TT for over a decade but am done. So disappointing.

yp22

I had a horrible time loading TT21 to TT22. After several attempts, I just loaded the pdf and it seemed to work. After spending 2 hours, now the doggone file is corrupt as others have mentioned. I should not have to go through all the shenanigans. The last few years, I am losing confidence in TT. Ugh

HwPTechie

After downloading TTax, it would not upload my prior years Turbo Tax File.  I started, grudgingly, from scratch and entered everything thru State entry then saved.   Got file is corrupted message when trying to reload a few minutes later.  Rekeyed all 2 more time and same result... corrupted file.  Called Support and support person DID work her tail off trying to solve issue and contacted several of her own tech support folks.  After 2 hours they had me load onto my other laptap and it seemed to save and retrieve ok.  Support concluded I had a virus....I did not.  I have several anti virus and malware tools I use often so I knew I had no infections causing issue.  Finally gave up on support and reviewed this chat.  One guy had RIGHT ANSWER.

SOLUTION:  Backed up all *.tax* files to external drive.  Deleted all *.tax* files on local machine.  Deleted ALL versions of Turbo Tax (I had several years worth).  Reinstalled latest TT (2022) and started over again.  However, this time I could work on it, save the file and multiple points in the process, and always able to retrieve the saved file and continue working on it. 

Your recommendation should go to the top, is the only thing that works (and I have tried every stupid idea that Intuit is suggesting).

Installed TT 2022 (Premier w/ State). Pointed to 2021.Tax file, never got an indication that the read was successful and that it would use some of that info to start new return (Seemed weird at the time, but did not make much of it).

Started return, saved, closed program, came back later, tried opening 2022 return, "corrupt file" message.

Started brand new return, saved midway, closed program, came back later, same error message.

Uninstalled, rebooted, re-installed, read 2021 return, started new one, saved, closed, reopened, same error message.

Installed in a 2nd computer, same steps, same results.

Re-downloaded program, re-did all the steps same crap, "corrupt file".

Moved ALL the TAX files from computer, uninstalled TT, rebooted, reinstalled. Started new return, no old files to read (removed EVERYTHING to a portable drive), added some data to return, saved, closed file, reopened, NO ERROR.

Something is really screwed with the importing script, that is the only common thing (I do not want to hear about windows updates, antivirus, cosmic rays, or anything else).

To you Sir with the recommendation to move ALL TAX files out of the PC where TT is running, I wish you well, you are a true HERO. I was about to throw my PC out the window you have saved me from a total meltdown.

To Intuit: FIX THE FREAKING SW.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies