Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I quit my job last july. I’m not working anymore. Do i still have to file taxes for the months I worked? Where and how do I get my w2 form?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

13 Replies

I quit my job last july. I’m not working anymore. Do i still have to file taxes for the months I worked? Where and how do I get my w2 form?

Your (former) employer will issue W-2's by the end of January 2018.  Make sure the employer has your current address so that it can be mailed to you.

DO I NEED TO FILE A TAX RETURN?

https://www.irs.gov/help/ita/do-i-need-to-file-a-tax-return 

Who has to file?

http://www.irs.gov/uac/Do-I-Need-to-File-a-Tax-Return%3F

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

you must file a tax return if you have more than $12000 of taxable income (for single; other limits apply for other kinds of taxpayers).  Your employer should mail you your W-2, make sure they have your current address.  

Thank you! Does this only cover for Feb 2017-July 2017? I only made about 4k during those months.

Do you want to receive a refund for any of the taxes withheld?
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

If there is, of course! Sorry, Im still young and Im not all too familiar with filing taxes.

You file a tax return for all your income for the year.  Not by time worked.  You just enter annual amounts.

If you made less than $4,050 maybe someone can claim you as a dependent.  Did you live with anyone?  How old are you?  Are you a student?

Did you have any other type of income this year? Are you a student? Can anyone else claim you as a dependent?

Just wait for the W2 to come from your employer.  They will send it to you by Jan 31.  If there is any taxes withheld in box 2 or 17 you can file a return to get it back.  Did they take taxes and deductions out of your paychecks?

Yes, I’m a student. My mom puts me as her dependent on her taxes. I’ve been selling stuff on an online buy and sell app. Does that count to be included for taxes?

My employer took taxes. Federal and fico i think.

Ok if you do file a return be sure to check the box that says someone can claim me as a dependent.

What did you sell?  It might need to be reported.  If it's just your own personal stuff you don't have to report it.  Is it something you made or bought to sell?

If you sold your personal stuff at a profit, you mus report the gain.

Thank you so much!! It was all just personal stuff that I didnt want anymore and sold them for mostly 70% off their original price.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies