Nicolesuccess80

My dependent received a 1099-NEC

I know that my dependent needs to file her own tax return because she received a form 1099-NEC ($3,600).  

My question is: If she does file her own tax return for 2020, am I still able to claim her on my own tax return for 2020 being that she was still in HS during the Spring of 2020 and I was taking care of her?  She was 19 years old during that time.

Thank you.

MinhT1

My dependent received a 1099-NEC

Yes, if you provided for more than half of her support in 2020 and as she earned less than $4,300, you can still claim her as a dependent.

MinhT1

My dependent received a 1099-NEC

Nicolesuccess80

My dependent received a 1099-NEC

Thank you so much! This has been extremely helpful.  Now, I can continue my filing through TurboTax!  Have a great day!

RonaldDotson

My dependent received a 1099-NEC

Thanks a lot.  My 16 year old dependent is in high school and earned $1,500 during 2021.  I had added her 1099-NEC to my Turbo Tax account and it dropped my return amount a lot.  I deleted the entry and my refund amount shot back up.  Now I know that I have to file separately for her.

My dependent received a 1099-NEC

@RonaldDotson

MY DEPENDENT HAD A JOB

If your dependent has a W-2 for his after-school job, summer job, etc. you do not include the information on your own return. You can still claim your child as a dependent on your own return.  He/she can file his own return for a refund of some of his withheld wages (he won’t get back anything for Social Security or Medicare), but MUST indicate on it that he can be claimed as a dependent on someone else’s return.  (Supervise this closely or prepare it for him!)

If your dependent’s earnings were over $400 and were reported on a 1099Misc or 1099NEC then he must file a return and pay self-employment tax for Social Security and Medicare.

You might also want to use free software from the IRS Free File versions:

https://apps.irs.gov/app/freeFile/