turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Moving Turbotax Files Between Computers

I have to transfer a 2020 turbotax file to a new computer because I will no longer have access to my old computer it is saved on. I have successfully loaded the 2020 Turbotax Premier program on the new computer and when I try to open my 2020 tax return file (turbotax format) it does not work. it does not seem to recognize it because it is a 2020 turbotax file. It constantly is looking for a 2019 turbotax file to transfer.

Any suggestions here would be awesome.

Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

With the 2020 TurboTax program started, click on the File menu at the upper left corner of the desktop program screen.  Click on Open Tax Return.  If the 2020 tax data file is in the Documents directory and in the TurboTax folder the 2020 tax return will open.  Or you can browse to the location where you stored the 2020 tax data file from the old computer to open the 2020 tax return.

And After you get the program installed the first thing to do before you open your tax return is to update the program and install any state programs you had. Then open your file. So you first might need to start a fake return to be able to download the state program (go to File-New Tax Return).

Then go to FILE -Open and find your return.

See this article on how to move your tax return to another computer…….

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-data-file/help/how-do-i-move-my-tax-data-file-to-another-compu...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies