Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Latest Turbotax 2022 update fails so Turbotax won't open

Windows 10  at current maintenance. Turbotax Premier 2022.  Installing program updates  failed with Windows  Installer error after looping.  Updates prior to 02/12/23 installed properly, and neither Windows nor Turbotax have changed, so the problem is a bad update.  A similar problem occurred in 2020 and took forever to fix. Turbotax always blames Windows Installer because of a 1603 error, but here is what Windows said this time:

Got s yellow screen which said:

User account control

Do you want to allow this app from an unknown publisher to make changes to your device?

intuitupdater.exe

Publisher unknown

File origin: Hard drive on his computer

Reply Yes and Turbotax starts installing for a minute or so then returns 'Failed to install update. Microsoft Installer update 1603 Fatal error during installation.

Restarting the PC and downloading and executing the manual update did not fix the problem.

What is interesting is that the first try on 02/12 included a state update and program updates, and the state update updates fine - only the program updates failed.  Subsequent attempts only tried to install the program updates.

The bottom line is that there is something wrong with this particular update, but Customer Service does not understand the problem and seems to have no way to report it to someone who can fix it. Until this update is fixed or replaced, I have no way to file my taxes.  Went through the same problem in 2020 and once they fixed the bad update, Turbotax worked fine after that.  Hope it gets fixed before Apr 15. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

15 Replies

Same problem and description exactly.

EbonyA
Intuit Alumni

We would usually suggest trying the manual update however you have mentioned already doing so. By "customer service" are you referring to our phone support team? Have you already reached out to them? @barryjedrick.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
KTZ
Returning Member

I have the same exact issue ... un - intstalled and re-installed a couple of times.  Always fails with the update.

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

Please follow the instructions here to manually update the software. 

Please let us know if you need further assistance. @KTZ 

KTZ
Returning Member

Uninstalled, downloaded fresh copy and reinstalled.  It initially opened and ran the latest updates, then would not load.  I applied the 'superpatch' found in the article.  Still would not launch.  I've retried multiple times, tried installing patch before letting updates run, tried using the download version in the link I received from Costo, tried using version direct from turbotax site by downloading using license key, multiple combinations of all of the above ...  nothing made a difference.  Same results everytime.  Once it updates, if I launch turbotax, it doesn't load.  If I check task manager, I see Turbotax in the process list, however the program does not open.

I have verified system requirements, including .Net version ... all are met.

I have spent way too much time on this already.  I need a version that works.

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

Please follow the instructions here so we can speak with you by phone to look into this further. @KTZ 

Steve571
Returning Member

I am having the same update problem with 2022 TurboTax Premier 1040 software. Updated after initial installation in January but now won't won't update with failure attributed to Microsoft. Manual update does not fix problem. Further, program will not allow me to enter property tax deduction for main residence or separate property so update failure appears to be creating an identifiable issue as well as potential issues that are not easily identifiable. 

Note that I also use 2022 TurboTax Business software. It updated today without a problem, which suggests to me that the problem is attributable to your 2022 1040 software/update and not to an underlying problem with my computer or other non-TurboTax software.   

SHG 

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Have you tried to uninstall and reinstall the software? If not, please save your tax data file to your computer and then try uninstalling and reinstalling your software to see if that resolves the issue you're experiencing.  The below TurboTax Help Articles will assist you with the process. 

Steve571
Returning Member

After a week+ of update failures, update finally worked today. However, I still cannot enter property tax expense. The only line that is active on the property tax screen is the one for "foreign real estate taxes", which is the only line that I don't need. Solution?   

MoniqueLO_
Intuit Alumni

Please feel free to contact Customer Support so you can speak with someone who can assist you.

@Steve571 

This approach doesn't work.  I updated manually and then when I try to open turbotax deluxe, it goes through the update process and fails to open.  I need to file my taxes and I cannot.  This is serious, this needs to be fixed.

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

Please check out this troubleshooting guide here to help resolve this. 

If this does not work, please click here to contact us by phone. @jhewlett614 

Kat888

The problems were never resolved. I had to file an extension. Now it’s due again with the exact same update error. They’ve had 8 months to fix this since it started in February.  

I tried to reinstall Turbotax Home and Business 2022 on my New Computer.   It still runs on my old computer but will not run whether I do updates or not.   It did the super install patch and manual downloads but it fails to install.   While I truly do not need to use it , I had thought I would install on my new windows 11 computer as a back up.    Versions 2021 and 2023 install and work.   Versions 2021, 2022 and 2023 install and work including updates.  At the moment I still have it available on my old computer.  I called support but they were unable to offer solutions.  I have already spent multiple hours on this without success.   

Note my old computer still has 5+ years of Turbotax which work, but not this version

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies