turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

It’s saying my ein numbers are wrong but they are correct, what do I do?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

37 Replies
RayW7
Expert Alumni

If your tax return has rejected due to an incorrect EIN then you need to go back into the TurboTax program and find the form with the incorrect number.  Check your form with the number you have entered into TurboTax and once corrected you can submit your return again. 

Below are some common EIN reject codes and you can follow the links for specific directions on how to correct this issue.

Click your rejection error for more info and solutions:

• FW2G-502: Form W-2G, Payer EIN must match data in the IRS e-File database
  • FW2-502: The employer identification number (EIN) on the W-2 that was entered into the program does ...
  • F1099R-502-02: Form 1099-R, Payer Federal Id Number must match data in the e-File database
  • F2439-502-01: Form 2439, Notice to Shareholder of Undistributed Long-Term Capital Gains,

These rejections occur when Employer Identification Number (EIN) or employer/payer name doesn't match IRS records..

I have checked the numbers multiple times, and they are the same.  Would it help if I just erased the existing ones a re-typed the same ones again?

ChondelLO
Intuit Alumni

Yes. You can retype the EIN number. For more information please click the link below.

TurboTax Online instructions for E-file reject FW2-502 ...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

My return was rejected for incorrect EIN numbers on W2s (all four). I have rechecked twice and two of the W2s have been used in years past with no rejection. What is going on?

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

Please see this Turbo Tax FAQ for information on the error.

Payer EIN must match data in the IRS e-File database

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/rejections/help/e-file-rejection-error-fw2g-502-form-w-2g-payer-ei... 

That's obvious not the issue as two of the W2s were accepted last year with no problem. Did not change them for 2021 filing.

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

It is possible that there is some data within the W-2 entry that did not clear when you retyped the EIN.  If you have not done so delete the W-2's and then re-enter them.

To delete your W-2 follow these steps:

1. Log into your account if it is not open.
  2. Select the Wages & income tab.
  3. On the page Your Income select review on the line Job(W-2).
  4. On the page, Your W-2 info so far select the trash on the line for the W-2
  5. When you are asked "Are you sure you want to delete this W-2?" select yes
  6. Repete this step for your second W-2.
  7. Re-enter your W-2's
kriscorn

I am having the same problem with the W 2g forms and have tripled checked id numbers. It is the software or something . Some id numbers have two dashes instead of one ? It does not let you add it . Software tells you to mail it ! That is a big hassle to send the copies . What else can be done? I notice there are no thumbs up for advice or responses because the numbers are correct ! It is in software .

DianeW777
Employee Tax Expert

The EIN and the name of the payer are the key components that the IRS is checking through e-file for identity of the payer. Only they can tell you the actual name that is listed with the IRS.

kriscorn

I tried deleting and entering them again and it does not work. Will my return be rejected if i mail it in? State is rejecting because federal rejected.  There is a problem somewhere in the system. What am i suppose to do. I actually mailed my federal return over three weeks ago and IRS has no record?

TiffanyL
Intuit Alumni

If you print and mail your return, it won't be rejected but could be delayed further. I would recommend that you double-check to make sure all information on your W2 is correct, such as not entering your SSN where the company's EIN should be.

You can also reach out to TurboTax customer support to have them physically review it also.

For mailed returns, it takes the IRS about 6 weeks to process them. After 4 weeks from mailing, it should show in the IRS Where's My Refund tool.

I am having the same exact issues. Did you find a way to resolve this?

I deleted all of them and then re-entered with the exact same information. Two of the W2s were used last year with no problem and even they were rejected. I believe there was a glitch in the system at the time I tried to file.

I hope you can resolve your issue. I would not want to send in paper. This is why I use TurboTax.

Katrina LO
Intuit Alumni

The EIN number your entering from your W-2 appears correct, but that does not mean it is what the IRS has in their data base. Your employer or their payroll service could have made an error in their entry.  Please review all of the information below.

This rejection occurs when the EIN differs from what the IRS has in its database.  To correct this:

Open your return in TurboTax.

• In the search box type: W-2
  • click on Jump to W-2
  • On the W-2 summary screen, click Edit next to each W-2 on the return and make sure the EIN in Box b exactly matches what's on your W-2 form. If not, make the correction.
  • Next, make sure the info in the Employer's Name and Address fields match your paper W-2.  If not, make the correction.

If you are able to correct the return using these steps, you should be able to re-submit the return at this point.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies