turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ddruidman

Someone claimed me as a dependent without my permission. Does being claimed mean you don't get as much money and how can i change the dependent option.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

233 Replies

Someone claimed me as a dependent without my permission. Does being claimed mean you don't get as much money and how can i change the dependent option.

If someone rightfully claims you, you cannot claim yourself, and in that event, you will miss claiming your own $4,000 exemption which may increase your refund.

Actually, no one needs your permission to claim you as long as they have the right to do so. per the IRS.

The following guidelines are necessary for someone to claim you:

Qualifying Child Dependent:

• The child must be related to you. The child can be your son, daughter, stepchild, eligible foster child, brother, sister, half-brother, half-sister, stepbrother, stepsister, adopted child or an offspring of any of them.
  • Your child must be under age 19 or, if a full-time student, under age 24. There is no age limit if your child is permanently and totally disabled.
  • Your child must live with you for more than half the year, but several exceptions apply (ie. away at school).
  • The child cannot provide more than half of his/her support.
  • You must be the only person claiming the child
  • The child must be a US citizen, resident alien, national, or resident of Mexico or Canada.
  • The child cannot file a joint return with his or her spouse.

Qualifying Relative Dependent:

• You provided more than half of their support.
  • They made less than $4,000 in gross income.
  • They live with you or they are related to you.
  • They aren’t a dependent on someone else’s taxes.
  • They aren’t doing their taxes with a spouse (married filing jointly).
  • They are a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or Mexican resident.

If, after examining the above guidelines, you determine that no one has the right to claim you as their dependent, you should file a paper return  (which you can do through TurboTax), claiming yourself and send it in to the IRS. They will then contact you and whoever claimed you and decide who should get your exemption and adjust your tax result accordingly.

I'm so confused. I have no idea about this procedure.

Please start a new question and ask a complete question.

Brother claimed me do I still file

Is it fraud if I lived with my grandma and my mother claims me as a dependent

If you have a question, please start a new thread.
Karma77

What if somebody claims me on they taxes in I'm 33 but I have a foodstamps card with my name on it even if once the they do that ain't that ileagal?or what can happen to them

Please remove your personal information from this public web site.  Go to the three little blue dots in the upper right of your post, click on them and then choose edit to remove your name, etc. from this site.  Moderators have been alerted to your personal information being posted.

You "fear" your uncle claimed you but mention no proof of that.  If your uncle is on Social Security--per you-- he does not gain anything by claiming a dependent, since he would not even need to file a tax return if his only income is SS.  Without income earned from working, there are no child-related credits available to someone who claims a dependent.

If you try to e-file your own return and it is rejected because someone wrongly claimed you, then print, sign and mail your tax return and let the IRS sort it out.  

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

They said they claimed me but nobody I know has me on their taxes they’re using my Stuff without my permission. It could be identity fraud.

IDENTITY THEFT

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900655-what-to-do-if-you-suspect-tax-related-identity-theft

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

My boyfriend may be trying to claim me this year. I told him not to, cause I'm filing myself. I don't work a lot so if he does this I'll lose what little income l get. He doesn't have my permission to do this, plus I didn't even give him my social security number, so how he got that was probably illegal, probably snooping around in my mail. What can I  do?

JohnW222
Expert Alumni

First, go ahead and try to file your return through e-file.  If someone else has used your SSN, the return will be rejected. 

If it’s rejected, this has nothing to do with your ability or right to file your return.  Unfortunately, though, you'll have to file your return on paper -- that is, you can't electronically file your return.

If this turns out to be the case, please see the TurboTax Help articles "How do I print and mail my return in TurboTax Online?" or How do I print and mail a return in the TurboTax for Windows CD/Download software?as appropriate for guidance on filing a paper return.

You’ll need to attach a statement, saying that your e-filed return has been rejected, and express any suspicions that you might have. 

Finally, see the TurboTax Help article "What to do if you suspect tax-related identity theft" for actions that you make take.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I just got a email stating that someone used me has a dependent and that is why I can’t file my taxes I need to report this because I didn’t give anyone my permission to file me has their dependent I’m 23 years old 

@Christela_97 wrote:

I just got a email stating that someone used me has a dependent and that is why I can’t file my taxes I need to report this because I didn’t give anyone my permission to file me has their dependent I’m 23 years old 

Unfortunately this happens quite often.  Either someone mistakenly entered your SS number on their return or intentionally.  In any case if their tax return was received by the IRS and accepted, then you can only print and mail your tax return.  If you are owed a tax refund the IRS will pay the refund.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for printing a tax return for mailing - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/printing/help/how-do-i-print-and-mail-my-return-in-turbotax-online...

Shortly, within a year, the IRS will be sending you and the other party an inquiry in the mail to determine who was incorrect in entering you as a dependent.  Respond to any IRS notices you receive as the loser of the investigation must pay back any refund plus penalties and interest.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies