turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

IRS Claims my former employer didn't report my wages but I have my W2 and I spoke with my previous employer who says she sent everything in. I never had an issue before.

IRS took all 60 days to review my account and never once contacted me. I finally called on the 60th day and they said they don't have any record of my wages from my old employer, only the 3k I made in the end of the year with my new employer. I told them I had the W2 to prove it but the IRS agent said that wasn't good enough, the employer needed to confirm my wages. The IRS agent sent a referral and said it would take another 60 days! I filed Feb.1st, it is now May 15th, I can't wait any longer. I called my previous employer and she swears she sent my info in. I didn't have any problems last year and I am the only employee experiencing this problem. Sounds like there was an error on the IRS side. I don't know what to do at this point. Any thoughts?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

IRS Claims my former employer didn't report my wages but I have my W2 and I spoke with my previous employer who says she sent everything in. I never had an issue before.

Ok ...the IRS will now ask the employer for the records hence the 60 day extension.   So ask the employer to respond to the IRS when contacted even if she did file the W-2 & W-3 & 1096 timely.  If she did NOT do it electronically then the paper forms had to be entered manually and when humans are involved mistakes can be made.    I had a client with this situation last year where only their W-2 form had an IRS issue  out of 8 total employees and the employer mailed in the forms .... bottom line it took 8 months for the employer & IRS to get this corrected. 

What you could do ? First  talk to the employer.  Talk to the IRS and see where the employer can send the supporting docs in advance of being contacted. 

View solution in original post

61 Replies

Ok ...the IRS will now ask the employer for the records hence the 60 day extension.   So ask the employer to respond to the IRS when contacted even if she did file the W-2 & W-3 & 1096 timely.  If she did NOT do it electronically then the paper forms had to be entered manually and when humans are involved mistakes can be made.    I had a client with this situation last year where only their W-2 form had an IRS issue  out of 8 total employees and the employer mailed in the forms .... bottom line it took 8 months for the employer & IRS to get this corrected. 

What you could do ? First  talk to the employer.  Talk to the IRS and see where the employer can send the supporting docs in advance of being contacted. 

catszx2

This is the same thing that’s happening to me
catszx2

I have a w2 why isn’t that enough ?
Hal_Al
Level 15

Every tax document (W-2, 1099 etc) is sent to both you and the IRS. The IRS is saying they never got their copy. More importantly, they're saying they didn't get the taxes your employer withheld from your pay (boxes 2,4 & 6).

They now need to decide whether to go after you or your employer for the money.  Give them what proof you have. Pay stubs, particularly year end, would be helpful.  As the answer above indicates, the IRS has probably already contacted your employer. This may take a long time. Cash strapped  employers not sending in the money is a common problem

UPDATE: I spoke with my old employer, she double checked her work and confirmed she did send my W2 to the IRS. (I believe her because there wasn't any problem last year and all the other employees already received their refunds, I am the only one who didn't.) I told her the IRS agent had told me that once the employer confirms my wages I could get my refund. She said she would try to contact them today. So my question is this...Will the IRS allow the employer to proactively confirm my W2 over the phone? Or do I still have to wait 60 more days for them to do the job they failed to do the last 60 days?

Only the IRS could answer that question.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
flansbugs

Same thing happening to me... Problem is no one's giving a resolution... I talked to my employer I'm on day 90 and he said he hasn't received anything from IRS and ain't offering info without their (IRS) requesting it.  My employer thinks I'm being scammed... Funny thing is, it seems anyone who has used turbotax are the victims of this chaos... uhgg

Why can't I just fax my W2 to the Verifications and Integrity Operations IRS Office? WHY NOT???

You would have to ask the IRS.
flansbugs

Did ask IRS they don't want nothing from me they want it from my employer who they have not contacted yet going on 90 days and counting

Ask them ... no one in this forum can answer that question.

Now one of my clients had this issue last year and it took 8 months to resolve ... small company and the employer mailed in the W-2 & W-3 which means they needed to be manually entered or scanned.  Only she had this issue out of all the employees so who knows what went wrong ?   The SS administration and IRS  never gave an explanation but the employer had to comply with the government request for information.

If it's been more than 90 days since the return was accepted  then you can ask for help from the Tax Payer Advocate office:

At the following IRS website, find the USA map and click on your state, and it will give you the number of your IRS Taxpayer Advocate.

http://www.irs.gov/uac/Contact-a-Local-Taxpayer-Advocate

If you are unsuccessful with the Taxpayer Advocate for your area, you can also try the special IRS phone number for the Taxpayer Advocate Service at 877-777-4778.

More info on the Taxpayer Advocate Service:
http://www.taxpayeradvocate.irs.gov/about/who-we-are

http://www.irs.gov/Advocate/Taxpayer-Advocate-Service-6

Also see this article for more info on how the Taxpayer Advocate Service works:
http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc104.html

I am in the same boat. I have been waiting for my return since mid February. I feel like I’ve been given the runaround, finally today, the IRS told me they were waiting to verify my income...that they show no income at all for me. I went directly to my employer who says it was submitted by the deadline (which I believe) and that he has not been contacted by the IRS (which I believe). My employer will not contact the IRS unless contacted, and seems to think that I am a victim of some sort of scam. When I called the IRS back to ask if they have attempted to contact my employer, they were unable to give me that information or refer me to anyone who could. I was also told that if it’s not resolved within the 60 days allotted, it’ll go on another 60 days and if the income is not verified they will change my return to reflect that I didn’t earn any money at all! I tried to contact a tax advocate, and am waiting to see if they can help me in any way.
Mahea91

I’m dealing with the EXACT same thing. My employer swears they reported my i

wages over 5 times and yet IRS has no record of it. Social security doesn’t even have record of my wages. I filed Jan 31, 2019 and it’s September 17 and I’m still waiting. They did 3 60 day reviews and now they’re on a 4th and still nothing. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies