Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

If turbotax says my return is accepted by the irs, can it still be rejected later?

Yes, if you processed the return but are not due additional stimulus money, TurboTax would not know this and therefore it will have gone through to the IRS. No, the IRS would not have caught it at initial stages and will not reject it at this point. Your return is now in "audit" phase since the IRS already knows what you are/are not owed for stimulus.

If there is a $500 figure on your copy of your return, then when you went through the questionnaire there was something you either answered or did not answer that prompted the system to think you are still owed $500. This would have popped up on a screen telling you in large print that you are due a credit for stimulus. If you continued and processed the return but are not due additional stimulus money, now that the IRS has your return and it is most likely in "audit" phase, the IRS will adjust your refund to not include that $500s. 

In the past few weeks, many folks in getting onto the IRS have stated that they "cannot find themselves" in the system - when previously they could see the status of their return. Then, poof, they're back. Whatever the IRS is doing to update their systems is causing this glitch - it is getting resolved on a somewhat daily basis. It is just going to be a really rough year for all with this process. Sorry for the frustration! I know it doesn't help, but you're truly not alone!

If turbotax says my return is accepted by the irs, can it still be rejected later?

I can't contact the IRS either. I filed for my 2nd stimulus then received the stimulus the next day smh. Mine was accepted February 10th. I know they will probably adjust it but how much longer is the wait.

If you claim your missing stimulus check with your tax return and received it before your tax return was proceed by the IRS, you don't need to do anything regarding that. 

It will increase processing time in your case, and the IRS will reduce amount of your refund by the payment. It doesn't cause any penalties. 

Thank you.

This happened to me too. I’m hoping they adjust it, but wondering if this is effecting my third stimulus. 

Yes, when the IRS accepts your return initially, it means that it accepted the electronic transfer from TurboTax after an initial data screening.  It checks to make sure names and numbers match their database.  Once it is goes through the actual review process, it can be rejected for reasons specific to your return and situation.

@m0nique

@ReneeM7122 

I filed early and got a notification that it was accepted feb 13. I received my state refund. Federal still showing processing. Is it because I received my 2nd stimulus after filing? I’m hoping they just adjust my return but worried this is effecting my third stimulus. I checked get my payment for stimulus and it shows my bank account but not date. 

No, it's not necessarily because of any issues with your return or because of your stimulus.  The IRS is simply working more slowly than we would like.  

Here are a few links with the most updated stimulus information that we currently have:

What if my IRS refund is taking longer than 21 days?

How will the third stimulus impact me? 

@m0nique

So I called the irs and was told they fixed a number that was wrong but it was in my favor but I still haven’t recieved any letter stating that. Do I just do nothing now? She did say I’m supposed to get my refund in 6 weeks. Does that mean the irs filed the amended return for me or is that not required since it was a simple error?

@Leelee8807 

how did you get a hold of a live person? i’ve spent all week trying to talk with a live representative & no luck. my fear is there could be an issue i wont know about that is holding my return. did they say it will be 6 weeks from the day the problem was resolved?

JeanneLO
Intuit Alumni

You will need to wait for the letter or refund as advised by the IRS representative.

@Leelee8807

Individuals can call the IRS at (800) 829-1040, Monday through Friday, 7:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m. your local time.

Here are some tips when contacting the IRS:

• First choose your language
  • Then do not choose the first choice regarding REFUND, or it will send you to an automated phone line.
  • Instead, press 2 for personal income tax questions.
  • Then press 1 for form, tax history, or payment.  
  • Then press 3 for all other questions.
  • Then press 2 for all other questions to be transferred to an agent

Please see this TurboTax FAQ on what to have ready before you contact the IRS: What do I need if I call the IRS?

@m0nique

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

TurboTax says my return was accepted 3/19/21, but received an email from TT last night 3/20/21 saying my return needs corrected. I login to my account and it still says my returns were accepted? Does this mean I need to correct something? Thank you.

MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Please reach out to TurboTax Customer Support so that they can check to see if your return was successfully e-filed or rejected. 

Please follow the instructions in this TurboTax FAQ to contact Customer Support: What is the TurboTax phone number?

@Kramer4244

I was just wondering trying to understand how everything working now with this pandemic situation that's all.

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

Is there anything specific we can assist you with or answer @lShanklin71 ?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies