Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Vschae11
Returning Member

If turbotax says my return is accepted by the irs, can it still be rejected later?

I'm currently in the processing purgatory as well and I would like the 3rd stimulus to be based off of my 2020 taxes and not my 2019 taxes as I am only able to claim my son every other year, per custody agreement. Does TT or the IRS have a plan to solve a problem like mine? 

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

If turbotax says my return is accepted by the irs, can it still be rejected later?

Everything is in the hands of the IRS “back office” once your return is accepted. TurboTax provides the software to prepare and transmit your return. If it gets rejected, you can fix it and file.

Once the IRS accepts it, there’s no way to take it back, fix it, and ask the IRS to speed up your processing.

If it’s been more than 21 days since your return was ACCEPTED, you can call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 to research the status for your refund.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Its been 25 days mine still say still processing and when I can the IRS it says the call volume is high call back later.

It been over 21 days no letters and the IRS isn't taking any calls. Is there anything else that can be done or just wait

Cass0317
Intuit Alumni

While we at TurboTax have no way of finding out specific information about the processing of an individual tax return once it's been transmitted to the government, the activity you observe on the IRS's "Where's My Refund" website sounds normal.

During processing, the government reviews your refund. During the review process, they look for math errors on your return (extremely rare in TurboTax) and they also check if you owe back taxes, unpaid child support, or other debts.

Even though the IRS issues 9 out of 10 tax refunds within 21 days, it's possible your return may require additional review and take longer to process.

For some taxpayers, PATH Act requirements and other identity-protection safeguards implemented by the IRS may account for longer wait times.

Other things that can delay your refund include, but are not limited to:

• Liens, back taxes, or refund offsets
  • Errors, inconsistencies, or missing information
  • Identity fraud
  • Form 8379, Injured Spouse Allocation, which can take 11-14 weeks to process

Also, if you chose direct deposit, your financial institution may need another day or two to post the refund to your account, so keep that in mind.

Finally, please bear in mind that the IRS doesn't always move as fast as taxpayers would like (especially when waiting for a refund).  Also taxpayers who report certain items of income (such as self-employment) or certain tax credits (such as dependent care) can experience longer wait times for the IRS to process their original tax return, and ultimately issue a tax refund.

Please see the TurboTax Articles below for more information:

I dont understand why I have not received my 2020 refund yet. My refund was accepted and approved according to TT, but irs says it's still processing. I dont understand 

JeanneLO
Intuit Alumni

TurboTax updates when your tax return is accepted and provides an expected refund date based on when most filers receive their refund. 

Where’s My Refund? has the most up to date information available about your refund. The tool is updated daily (usually overnight) so you will just usually need to check once a day.

For more on the timing of your refund please see this and what updates you will see as your return goes from processing to approved: TurboTax FAQ.

I am an early filer, (PATHER) 1/20

Accepted by TT 2/12 as well as the IRS.

NO MOVEMENT ON WMR OR TRANSCRIPTS. 

I SPOKE WITH A LADY AT IRS AFTER 3 WEEKS OF TRYING AND SHE SAID THEY HAVE NO RECORD OF MY 2020 W2 FROM MY EMPLOYER. 

I work for the county I live in, and HR went through my paperwork and all is well on their end??? Social Security does not have my income either. My employer reports quarterly. What is this all about? I know my employer is up to par. Has this happened to anyone else?

No letter or anything explaining why either... 

There may be a mistake on your EIN number on your tax return.  If that is the case you can correct by filing an amendment.  Amendment will be ready in late March.   Look at your pdf copy of your return and make sure everything from your W-2 is correct.  Even if it does look completely correct there could have been an error when it was transmitted.  Amend when it is available.  Delete the W-2 and retype it by hand.

How to amend (change or correct) a return you already filed

@XoSARAoX

JJ109

What if my return status went from accepted to not having any status bars and saying it's still being processed, but now when I checked again today it just gives me an error saying that my information doesnt match the IRS records?

MoniqueLO_
Intuit Alumni

Please see below for reasons why you may be unable to track the status of your refund. You can also try calling the WMR automated hotline at 1-800-829-1954 to check the status of your refund. https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/refund-status/help/why-is-there-no-record-of-my-return-at-where-s-...

If turbo tax said my refund was accepted by IRS can it still get rejected and I don’t know 

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

Once your return is accepted, it won't be rejected but your refund or tax due can be adjusted once they process your return. When it is rejected, it means you have to fix what is wrong and re-submit it. You won't have to do that once it is accepted, but it can still be changed by the IRS.

I found two issues on my return.. first my EIN was not transfered onto my taxes because on my copy the box is blank. Very odd because I have had the same employer for several years and I have filed with TT for the last 7 and i have never had an issue like this. THE IRS told me they have no record of my w2 from my employer? Is it bc the EIN IS BLANK? I ALSO NOTICED 500 ADDED ON LINE 30 WHEN IT SHOULD BE BLANK.  I told TT I RECEIVED ALL MY RECOVERY REBATE.?? 

I can't reach IRS BECAUSE OF HIGH CALL VOLUME. I NEED HELP WITH THIS. No letter, no update on WMR, and NA on transcripts for 2020. Just confused why I've not heard anything. I filed early, accepted 2/12 and nothing. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies