Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If turbotax says my return is accepted by the irs, can it still be rejected later?

and how will i know if the IRS rejects my refund?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

82 Replies
Jimesa

If turbotax says my return is accepted by the irs, can it still be rejected later?

No. Once your return shows "accepted" the status can not change to "rejected". Please use the below information to check your refund status:

How do I check my e-file status?

I called and spoke to irs because I filed back in January and when I check status through irs as well as TT it says it is still processing. The lady I spoke with today says my refund was rejected. I never got anything saying it was rejected. Only that it was accepted the same day I filed Jan 28th 2020. So she basically said it was accepted then rejected but couldn’t tell me why or what to do. I wonder why she would say this if it says above that it cannot be rejected after it is accepted. Any input would be much appreciated.

Smn1981

I have been waiting since March and my return still says processing also. What number did you call to speak to someone because I cant find one anywhere? I'm in a very big financial hardship and cant get my stimulus either because my return is still processing. Please Help. 

[phone number removed]

REJECTED from e-FILE means IRS does not have your tax return.

Once it is ACCEPTED your return has to be reviewed and approved.

The lady was trying to tell you that your refund was not approved.

You'll get a letter of explanation, some day.

I already got a letter. They needed my 1095 which I gave to them. That’s the only letter I received from irs. She also told me my 2017 taxes weren’t on file and she said I never filed. Which I did. And I got my refund from both fed and state right after I completed them on TT. So idk if the system was messed up or what. You think I would’ve got a letter of it not being approved well before this stuff started since I filed for my 2019 on January 28th 2020. 

Robitho

What is the number please.

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

No.

Once your return is accepted by the IRS, it can't be rejected.  

If anything, they may send a letter or notice requesting additional support if needed.

The IRS operations are limited during the Covid-19 pandemic.  Attached is a link with more information as to what departments are available to contact at the moment.

IRS operations

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I’m going through this now and was told I must mail my return now

That is not what the IRS rep told me. They said they have no record of my already accepted efile and stated I must mail return. I filed in March received a letter indicating that this notice of non filinh

There is a step between when TT says your file was accepted and it posts to your IRS account.  My 2019 federal 1040 was never posted at the IRS, even though TT says it was accepted.  After several attempts, TT provided me with a 'submission ID.'   In the meantime, TT knew the taxes had not been accepted, because they did not get their fee from my refund.   Instead of checking on the filing, Intuit just charged my credit card for their share.   I asked for a refund, but I didn't get that either. It works great until it doesn't...

Somewhere, there is a purgatory with my 1040, and my refund, just sitting there.  Today I am working on a form 14157-A Tax Preparer Fraud or Misconduct Affidavit, just in case Intuit stole my refund.  While I finish it, I will be waiting on hold with the IRS for a live person.  There is nowhere on the website to follow up on a failed e-filing. Hopefully the IRS will fix that.  I'm sure that I'm not the only one!

@Kay Liggett 

The "thing" that happens between your return being accepted and it posting to your account is that the IRS processes the return.   Your return is still being processed by the IRS, and likely needs some additional information since it has been so long.  You need to call the IRS at [phone number removed] and see if they can give you additional information.  The submission ID that you have can help them find your return if they don't see it right away, but with the severe backlog that the IRS is facing it could take some time for them to find it and for things to show up so they can process it.  TurboTax doesn't have your refund.  Also, just because your payment didn't get to TurboTax doesn't mean that that they know anything other than you didn't get your refund. 

Your return was accepted, the IRS has just failed to process it. 

The Form 14157-A, preparer misconduct form, will do you absolutely no good here because YOU ARE THE TAX PREPARER, NOT TURBOTAX.   TurboTax is simply the software that YOU used to prepare your OWN return.  Call the IRS, the sooner the better, to find out what is delaying the processing of your return.  For many taxpayers it is identity verification or a missing form that is fairly simple to resolve. 

The problem is that your talking to someone on the phone . Always go by what you see with your eyes , not what your hear. Same principle in life goes in taxes . 

My tax return was accepted! But hasnt updated i had one irs say it was over the stimulus! Then another said she couldnt find mine. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies