Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I merge two accounts together?

I filed with two separate accounts last year and this year, by accident.  I need to merge my two accounts to create one with all my information.  Is this possible?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Sorry, TurboTax does not have an option to merge accounts.  Just use the most current account and let the other one go dormant. You would want to use just one account so when you start a return the prior year information transfer to the current return.

View solution in original post

19 Replies

Sorry, TurboTax does not have an option to merge accounts.  Just use the most current account and let the other one go dormant. You would want to use just one account so when you start a return the prior year information transfer to the current return.

Agreed I did the same thing this year and been a customer for 6 years.  I didn't realize it was different account until after I already paid.  There should initial question like where did file your taxes the previous year with an option of turbo tax.  So if there is no record perhaps you are using the wrong account.  

If I didn't already pay for it, I would have just done them over on the other account.   In today's technological world I would think this should be possible if anything at least let me import the filed PDF from the other account as past taxes.  So I don't have to continue to login to the orphaned account.  I am really surprised to see that this isn't possible.  Usually Turbo Tax has such great customer friendly experience.
penjudith

I totally agree, and frankly, I am pissed off...because when I first logged in this year, it was TURBOTAX that found a really old ID and started my login with it. I didn't even think to question it, and assumed it was accurate. Even when you aren't sure you're starting out with the right information, there's no way to talk directly with someone who might be able to address the problem and save a lot of worry and tedious repetition.
cbrezovec

I agree as well. I didn't realize that I used another account until after I paid for it. I would have stayed in the older account.

I'm not sure if this is the best place to suggest this, but TurboTax should quickly start working on getting an account merging option for its customers.

**When filing taxes by yourself online or via TurboTax app, creating a new account is a fairly simple mistake to make; either you forgot you made a previous account, thought you were using your previous account(like me), or became a little confused with the log in process and unintentionally created a new account.**

The system should keep track of multiple accounts using the same government information, not only for mistakenly making a new account, but for security too. If two TurboTax accounts hold the exact same social security number and personal information or social security number and fairly similar information, users who are able to log into both existing accounts should be able to merge the tax returns to the most used account. As long as the user can PROVE they're the owner of both accounts this shouldn't be too much of a bother.

I'm not looking for anyone to blame, I was the one who accidentally created two accounts. I just think a company such as this should look into an account merger option. Or at least ALERT  the customer that the information they're using to make an account already exists with a different account. This would then prompt the user to prove they're the owner of the already existing account or to continue with a new account. I'm sure the customers who are currently sitting with two tax histories in this system would be pleased.

Thank You.

OffcerDwn

Unacceptable.  You need to figure out a way to combine two usernames if they are the same person.

AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

Since it is not possible to merge multiple accounts, it is a good idea to determine if you have multiple accounts with TurboTax before starting to work on your return.  

Here are the steps you can take to find out if you have multiple accounts under the same email address:

1. First, sign out of your account (otherwise, you'll be thrown into a loop in step 2).
  2. Go to our Get help signing in to your account page, enter your email address, then continue.
  3. Check your inbox for a Your TurboTax Account email from do_not_reply@intuit.com, which will list all Intuit accounts tied to that email address.
  4. Repeat these steps for any other email addresses you may have.

Take a look at the following TurboTax article for more details:  How many TurboTax accounts do I have?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

man i agree  Cause when it comes to taxes nobody wants to make that accident but Hey you do how you supposed to be able to fix it at that you're supposed to be good on taxes

I can not find my 2016 tax returns. I might have used different usernames. I need 2016 tax returns merged with 

the other years.

@d0cfisher11 We can help you look for the account you used for 2016, but you cannot merge it with another account.  TT accounts cannot be merged.

Many people have multiple TT accounts and forget how to access them.  Log out of the account you are in now.

Account recovery

https://myturbotax.intuit.com/account-recovery/

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901535-forgot-your-turbotax-online-user-id-or-password

Or did you use the desktop version of TurboTax?  If so, the files are on your own hard drive or any backup device you used like a flash drive.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901486-how-many-turbotax-accounts-do-i-have

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901535

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901659-find-your-tax-data-file-in-mac

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1900721-find-your-tax-data-file-tax-file-in-windows

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

@d0cfisher11 wrote:

I can not find my 2016 tax returns. I might have used different usernames. I need 2016 tax returns merged with 

the other years.

TurboTax online accounts cannot be combined or merged.

You have to sign onto your online account using the exact same user ID you used to create the online account.

Close all TurboTax windows on your web browser (including this one).  Copy and paste the account recovery website link onto a new web browser window and run the tool.

Use this TurboTax account recovery website to get a list of all the user ID's for an email address.  Run the tool against any email addresses you may have used - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/account-recovery

If none of the user ID's received will access your account, then use the option shown in blue on the account recovery website, "Try something else"

If you used the desktop CD/Download editions installed on your computer, the only copy of your tax data file and any PDF's will be on the computer where the return was created.  TurboTax does not store online any returns completed using the desktop editions.

To access your current or prior year tax returns sign onto the TurboTax website with the userID you used to create the account - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

No, you can not merge two different TurboTax accounts.  You may import date from one year into the next year in the same account.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

It's unbelievable to me that in 2020 Intuit and all the technology they acquired....still has not enabled the ability to merge prior accounts for their long time customers. Sad thing is, Kroger does it in a minute with our discount cards. 

so my husband started taxes paid for them but couldn't file them because he doesn't have so the info.... but i started to and didn't pay how can i get the payment to my email and finish our taxes

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies