turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I didn't realize my return for 2017 tax year was rejected until today. I don't see why it was rejected. Can use the turbotax amend software to fix the problem? Help!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

I didn't realize my return for 2017 tax year was rejected until today. I don't see why it was rejected. Can use the turbotax amend software to fix the problem? Help!

Sorry, the amend software will not do.  Since the 2017 files were not accepted...you can't amend it..you need to print and file an original....not an amended tax return.

IF you can download and print your 2017 PDF tax file, you can just use that to file it now on paper..at the post office.

But if you need to make changes to it, you will need to use the full desktop software for 2017 to make changes to ti before printing and mail-filing it.

So a reminder to never just file and assume ir is done..always check the filing status a few days after you e-file it...even if you "Think" it was accepted..always re-check a few days later:

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/efile-status-lookup/

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

I had to call TT to find out why, and the amend software they have to DL will work. It will allow you to correct the 1040 and print, not just fill out a 1040X. Thanks for taking the time to reply and trying. Been using TT for 15 years, and never had a problem before. The issue was my wife's name not matching. It was the first year filing jointly. Definitely going to make sure I verify confirmation of acceptance, and my money is deposited in the future.

Also, that link you included only shows current info. So it showed my extension I filed for this year, but not my issues with last year.

Correct....that link only helps with whatever is being prepared and filed now....you needed to use it last year after you filed...That's why I just indicated it as a reminder for THIS year (a few days later) and  any subsequent year that you efile.

There's no way to check 2017 now...but you already know ti was rejected ...so it's useless to check anyhow..so you just  have to complete it and mail it in.
____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

It's not useless to check to know why it was rejected. If you don't know why then you can't properly correct it. It appears that it was a result of government inefficiency. We had updated her married name at the SS office 11 months prior to filing, but apparently their system was still checking against her maiden name instead of her current married name. The agent I spoke with said it's best to mail in filings after a name change.

I meant that is useless to check the 2017 status now, a year later, using that status check link...since it only checks the current tax returns (i.e.2018)..
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies