turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I'm trying to file a 1040 for my mother-in-law - died April 2022. Can't find where to start the process in Turbotax. How do I do this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

I'm trying to file a 1040 for my mother-in-law - died April 2022. Can't find where to start the process in Turbotax. How do I do this?

So sorry for your loss.   Do you mean you are trying to prepare a 2021 tax return for her?   You cannot file a 2022 tax return until next year in 2023.

Did your MIL previously use a TurboTax account to prepare her tax returns?   Do you have the account and user ID for her account?   Or do you have copies of her previous tax returns?

Are you the executor or legal representative for her or for her estate?   Please explain more clearly what you are trying to do.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

You might want to start by reading through the information provided by the IRS at the link below.

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p559#en_US_2021_publink100099488

Further, you might want to seek guidance from a local tax professional.

It has become my lot in Life to be the de facto Executor of estates for my extended family.  Already completed that assignments for 8-9 family members and will likely do more.  In 6-7 of those instances, I filed taxes for the deceased in the same year as their death.  Unless my old man memory is clouded, I did one of them through TurboTax.

Unless regulations have changed, I'll file taxes for my deceased in the next 2-3 weeks.  If Turbotax does not allow that, I'll revert to good old paper.

tagteam, thanks for the link

@daisyj1924 wrote:

If Turbotax does not allow that, I'll revert to good old paper.

@daisyj1924, TurboTax will allow it provided you are filing the return for the decedent for the 2021 tax year.

You will simply indicate that the taxpayer passed away prior to filing the return in TurboTax. 

Form 1310 will also need to be filed if a refund is due and it would be prudent to file Form 56.

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

@daisyj1924 wrote:

Unless regulations have changed, I'll file taxes for my deceased in the next 2-3 weeks.  If Turbotax does not allow that, I'll revert to good old paper.

You can't file a 2022 tax return yet, not even on paper. The tax forms for 2022 aren't available yet. And the IRS will not accept 2022 tax returns until January 2023. It's an IRS limitation, not a TurboTax limitation.

If you are filing a 2021 tax return for your mother-in-law who died in 2022, you can do that now with TurboTax. You do it the same way as you would do your own tax return, but in the personal information section you check the box saying that she died before filing the return. If you have to file a 2022 tax return for her, you will have to wait until January 2023 to do that. It is simply not possible before the end of the year, by TurboTax, paper, or any other method.

You cannot use your own TurboTax Online account to file for your mother-in-law. A TurboTax Online account can only be used for one tax return. If she did not have her own TurboTax Online account, or you do not have access to her account, you will have to create a new account, or use the CD/Download TurboTax software.

osmedd

If I have control of the estate, Intuit should give me access to the deceased account, correct?  It is just a matter of producing the paperwork that shows control, correct?

However I don't see where to submit the death certificate and estate paperwork...

Thanks,

Owen

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Please call TurboTax Customer service.  Here is a link:  Turbo Tax Customer Service 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies