turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I received an email from turbo tax saying my w2 was ready. Clicked on link and answered questions. Now it’s saying my refund is $0. It never showed me what my w2 was.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies

I received an email from turbo tax saying my w2 was ready. Clicked on link and answered questions. Now it’s saying my refund is $0. It never showed me what my w2 was.

Did you e-file?
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I have this same issue and this was the first year I chose to have my employer send it electronically to TurboTax and now there is an issue. If TurboTax "doesn't have my W-2" then why send me an email FROM TurboTax saying "Your W2 is ready!"???

TurboTax does not have your W-2.  Your W-2 comes from your employer.  Employers have until January 31 to issue your W-2.  Some employers are partnered with TT to allow you to import your W-2 in to your tax return.  You do need some information from the actual W-2 in order to do the import.  If your employer has not yet issued W-2’s you have to wait.  Do not file a tax return unless ALL of your W-2’s have been entered on the SAME tax return.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1934390-how-do-i-import-my-W-2

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2588751-why-can-t-i-import-my-w-2

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
DWSurges

I’m running into the same thing this year but I never actually hit the File for $0 button and moved forward with the return. Curious as to how your situation was resolved last year and if you have any recommendations?

@DWSurges Sometimes people misinterpret that message that your W-2 is "ready" to mean that they do not have to do anything to  enter it into their tax return.   That is not the case.   You still have to take steps yourself to enter your W-2 yourself.  If your employer is partnered with TurboTax to allow you to import the W-2 then you must go through the steps to do that yourself.  It is not magically in your tax return already.  Employers have until February 1 to make W-2's available. You need some information from the W-2 to import it.

Every 2020 W-2 that you received must be reported on your 2020 tax return, even if they are for small amounts.  Remember that each one of those W-2’s has your Social Security number on it, and that income was reported to the IRS by the employer.  You do not want to get in trouble with the IRS for under-reporting your income.

ALL of your W-2’s must be entered on the SAME tax return.  After you enter the first one, you click Add Another W-2.

W-2's come from your employer, and they have until February 1 to issue it.  Some employers allow you to import the W-2 through the software, but for security reasons you still need information from the actual W-2 to import it.  You might need to phone, drop in, email and/or snail mail an old employer to make sure they know where to send your W-2.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2561916-how-can-i-get-a-copy-of-my-w-2

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1934390-how-do-i-import-my-W-2

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2588751-why-can-t-i-import-my-w-2

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2938482-how-do-i-take-a-picture-of-my-w-2-in-turbotax-online

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/income/help/what-if-it-s-february-but-i-still-don-t-have-my-w-2/00...

So why is Turbotax sending people emails saying "Your W-2 from X employer is ready"?

@sfspaulding 

marketing.....

Im Literally going through the same issue and None Of the explanations are making any more since of it, im gonna go on a limb and say I guess We HAVE to wait on the physical form in the mail, Although the email CLEARLY has a import button.

@jonathan_1216 And the issue is you cannot import the W-2 unless you have the W-2 in hand to enter the Employer EIN, the Gross Income amount in box 1 and the Control Number in box d.

Sometimes marketing people are so eager to sell stuff they give too little thought to how their promises will actually be implemented.  A TT data base shows the employer(s) you most recently entered a W-2 from, they get that----and voila--- an email urging you to start on your tax return and use that W-2.   The catch is your employer has until January 31 to issue that W-2, and as indicated above, you need some information from the actual W-2 in order to import it.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies