turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I entered 2020 data in TurboTax but didn't file. It looks like some inaccurate data got carried over to 2021 while some data is missing and would like to know what I should do.

I entered 2020 data in TurboTax but in the end went with a CPA and didn't file using TurboTax. 

I'll be filing with TurboTax for 2021. It looks like some inaccurate data got carried over to 2020 while some data is missing and would like to know what to do in order make sure it's not going to mess up my 2021 taxes. For example I'm not sure how this happened, but there was a 1099-misc there from a rental property I sold in 2020 that shouldn't have been there. I wonder if it was trying to carry over some data from stuff I entered in 2020.

Also I had an negative adjusted gross income for 2020. When I started filling in data for 2021, I think TurboTax had asked me to fill in what my Adjusted Gross Income was from last year. How does that affect my 2021 returns?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

I entered 2020 data in TurboTax but didn't file. It looks like some inaccurate data got carried over to 2021 while some data is missing and would like to know what I should do.

Did you file 2021 yet?  If you haven't filed, registered or paid you can try to clear and start over

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/how-do-i-clear-and-start-over-in-turbotax-onli...

Or if it doesn't let you clear and you haven't paid and filed you could just start a new account.  Online is only good for 1 return per account.  But you can use the same email address for 5 accounts.   How to start another return in the Online version

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/how-do-i-start-another-return-in-turbotax-onli...

You might need to be inside your current return or start a return for the side menus to open up.  Continue into your return a few screens.

No I haven't paid yet. I just finished entering all my 2021 data so I'd prefer to keep going. 

Something I noticed is that I sold my rental real estate in 2020, but I think TurboTax still thinks I have the property and it's using the depreciation schedule. This is why it's showing that I have a loss since I had no rental income and there's no record of me disposing it. Is the property and any information on it relevant for 2021 or is there a way I can just delete the property then move on?

Simply delete the Sch E and all the assets.  

Thanks I'll try that. Is it right to assume that any "losses" from 2020 related to this real estate doesn't carry over?
Also why is it necessary to input the AGI from previous year in TurboTax?

You need to enter the prior year AGI to verify you to efile.  But with all the delays last year a lot of returns are rejecting for the AGI.  In that case try entering 0 for the AGI to efile.  That works for most people.  

Do you know where I can revisit entering the prior year AGI data?

How to correct the AGI in the Online version
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/agi/help/where-do-i-correct-my-agi-in-turbotax-online/00/26311

If you can’t get it to efile you will have to print and mail it.
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/printing/help/how-do-i-print-and-mail-my-return-in-turbotax-online...

Be sure to attach copies of your W2s and any 1099s that have withholding on them.  You have to mail federal and state in separate envelopes because they go to different places.  Get a tracking number from the post office when you mail them for proof of filing.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies