turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I need to clear my return but it says "Once you register your tax return, or pay fees, we can no longer clear & start" I have not paid anything what do I do?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AnnaB

I need to clear my return but it says "Once you register your tax return, or pay fees, we can no longer clear & start" I have not paid anything what do I do?

Since you are using the Federal Free version, you likely made it to a certain step where it registered your account.

Your only other option (if you cannot work with what you have) would be to create a new TurboTax account to start fresh.

If you go to My Account then Save and Sign Out, you can choose to Create an account from the sign in screen.

You can have multiple usernames for the same e-mail address, but if you use your e-mail address as your username, you will need to create a username.

View solution in original post

15 Replies
AnnaB

Since you are using the Federal Free version, you likely made it to a certain step where it registered your account.

Your only other option (if you cannot work with what you have) would be to create a new TurboTax account to start fresh.

If you go to My Account then Save and Sign Out, you can choose to Create an account from the sign in screen.

You can have multiple usernames for the same e-mail address, but if you use your e-mail address as your username, you will need to create a username.

Larry-G-

"Registered" means when you fill out your name, credit card and demographics (where you live) is entered or updated.  That is what it means to be "registered".
spinnerscat
Returning Member

this is not helpful i want a way to erase the return all together i don't have to file till next year

Try this. Thank you Larry G. for adding the Registered info. Anne's answer kinda made no sense, We obviously had registered an account if we were in and needed to reset one.

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2586254-how-do-i-clear-and-start-over-in-turbotax-online?jump_to=a...>

I need to clear my return but it says "Once you register your tax return, or pay fees, we can no longer clear &amp; start" I have not paid anything what do I do?

I discovered a work around that may help. If you go into the Tools section, Delete a Form, you can delete forms individually which will clear your information. Basically the same thing. Some forms can't be deleted, but I think this will get you what you need. It worked for me!

Larry-G-

I need to clear my return but it says "Once you register your tax return, or pay fees, we can no longer clear &amp; start" I have not paid anything what do I do?

"Registered" means when you fill out your name, credit card and demographics (where you live) is entered or updated.  That is what it means to be "registered".
tritz1979
Returning Member

Can I still do it if federal was accepted?

@tritz1979 wrote:

Can I still do it if federal was accepted?

To change a tax return that was filed and accepted you would need to amend the tax return.

An amended tax return, Form 1040X, can only be printed, signed, dated and mailed by you to the IRS, it cannot be e-filed. The IRS will take up to 4 months to process the amended tax return. Wait until you have received the tax refund or the taxes owed have been paid and processed by the IRS before amending the tax return.

To access your online tax returns sign onto the TurboTax website with the User ID you used to create the account - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/

Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and on the section Your tax returns & documents click on Show. Click on the Year and Click on Amend (change) return

See this TurvrboTax support FAQ for amending a 2019 tax return - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/how-do-i-amend-a-2019-return-in-turbotax/01/123845...

thank you for actually giving an answer. this helped me so much!! 

that has got to be the stupidest way to run an outfit.  I have never seen a worse run website.

andynguyen4
Returning Member

Hi, I have the same problem right now, not able to clear data, so is it okay if registered to the federal. Will it sent to federal yet ? 

ixoye71

Here we are in 2023 and this hasn't been fixed yet? This complaint is all over the internet. I want to upload my last year's return (from TurboTax desktop that I paid for) and there appears to be no way to do it. If I can't upload all the previous info so TT can work from there and bring in all my carry-overs, etc., what good is this service at all? What a I missing here? I'd be happy to buy a copy of the software to put on my computer but there doesn't appear to be a way to do that either. 

I agree this is the dumbest thing I've see in a long time (and I'm old and seen a LOT of dumb things!).

@ixoye71 You can transfer a 2021 tax data file from your computer to the 2022 TurboTax online editions.

When you start the 2022 tax return using the online editions click on Tax Tools on the left side of the online program screen.  Click on Tools.  Click on Transfer last year's TurboTax return from your computer

See this TurboTax support FAQ for transferring last years tax return to the TurboTax online editions - https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/import-export-data-files/transfer-last-y...

Go to this TurboTax website for the 2022 desktop CD/Download editions - https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download/

When you start the 2022 return online and log into the same account you used the prior year then the first thing it asks you is if you filed a return last year and did you use TT.  If you say yes then it will transfer the prior year info automatically ... its  actually pretty fool proof.  However ... if you did not do it correctly to start with  ...  once you are logged in the answer @DoninGA  gave is what you need to follow.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies