ammiel-elia

I accidentally upgraded my account. How do I cancel to go back to my free account?

JamesALO

No problem. You can downgrade using the clear and start over feature. However, you will be required to restart your return. 

In TurboTax Online, you can erase your return and start from scratch as long as you haven't submitted payment, deducted the TurboTax fee from your refund, or registered.

1. If you haven't already done so, sign in at TurboTax.com and select the blue Take me to my return button.
  2. On the welcome back screen, in the left-side menu, select Tax Tools, and then select Clear & Start Over (click or tap the 3 lines in the upper-left corner if you don't see this menu).
  3. Answer Yes in the pop-up to confirm.

GEN86827

Answered by TurboTax FAQ to this question

JamesALO

3. Answer Yes in the pop-up to confirm.

GEN86827

ammiel-elia

I did so. Thank you so much.
However, it would be nice to have another way to do it which doesn't mean I have to do all over again. I had already finished every step and doing it all over again is not so nice.
JamesALO

Unfortunately, using the clear and start over feature is the only way to downgrade, which requires to restart your return. I'm sorry.
mcuesta1973

I accidentally registered, how can you help to go back to the free version?
fjulio077

I have the same issue and now I cant go back cause I already registered. And I was already registered when I accidentally upgraded so it makes no sense that I can't change it back.

Ryvis

They should be reported to the better business bureau. Getting trapped into an upgrade under the guise of a free tax preparation is unacceptable.

MarilynG1

@Ryvis See if you qualify for the Free File Program.  If so, your Federal and State returns are both free. 

catteyez88

Same thing happened to me and now I'm trying to get my money back. It's bs. I was tricked too.

SamS1

@ammiel-elia You will have to clear and start over.  As long as you haven't submitted payment, deducted the TurboTax fee from your refund, or registered, you can erase your return and start from scratch in TurboTax Online.

1. Sign in and select a topic to continue your return.
  2. On the next screen, from the left-side menu, select Tax Tools, and then Clear & Start Over (select the menu icon in the upper-left corner if you don't see this menu).
  3. Answer Yes in the pop-up to confirm.

catteyez88

Hello and Ty for the reply. It won't let me clear my return yet it hasn't even been filed. It's at the part where I have to look it over so it's not filed yet. I tried to cancel with customer service minutes after I realized I was charged when I received my receipt and was given a code to send in a refund request. I was told there's no refunds for the online edition. Why was I charged before filing? I didn't want the deluxe edition and not sure how I was tricked into it. If I don't file with turbo tax, I would think they would have to refund me, right?. Ty again. Pam R

JotikaT2

Please use the following link to contact us.

Let the agent know what is happening and they will be able to assist you. 

Contact TurboTax 

@catteyez88