fuelforthefunnyf

How do I completely delete my state tax return and restart? The imported information mistakenly made me a millionaire.

LenaH

To delete your state return and start over, please follow the instruction below: 

1. Sign in and open a section of your return.
  2. From the left menu, select State and then select Continue on the Let's get your state taxes done right screen.
  3. On the Status of your state returns screen, select Delete to the right of your state, then answer Yes.

If you’ve already paid your state fees, you can’t delete your return, but you can start over by selecting Start Over next to your state return on the Status of your state returns screen.

jpdewitt

Hi @LenaH,

I don't think this works for many of us.  I paid for the federal and two state returns.  There was an error that I fixed on the federal return.  The state return told me about the error in the final checks before e-filing. That error, which made its way into "IT-360.1 TP" of New York's filing, cannot be undone as far as I can tell.  I clicked "start over" for New York, but I cannot find that form/amounts to change anywhere.  As far as I can tell, TurboTax documentation suggests that some of the data can only be autofilled from the federal form, and that if it can be changed elsewhere, the user must delete the state and start over.  So, I'm stuck. 

Any advice on how to proceed?  TurboTax won't allow me to e-file and suggests that I file by mail.  On the PDF to file by mail, it specifically directs that "New York State requires this income tax return to be filed electronically."  I'm in a position now wondering if I need to pay a turbotax competitor to finish my NY return.

Thanks,

John