turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How do I completely delete my state tax return and restart? The imported information mistakenly made me a millionaire.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

23 Replies
LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

How do I completely delete my state tax return and restart? The imported information mistakenly made me a millionaire.

To delete your state return and start over, please follow the instruction below: 

1. Sign in and open a section of your return.
  2. From the left menu, select State and then select Continue on the Let's get your state taxes done right screen.
  3. On the Status of your state returns screen, select Delete to the right of your state, then answer Yes.

If you’ve already paid your state fees, you can’t delete your return, but you can start over by selecting Start Over next to your state return on the Status of your state returns screen.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hi @LenaH,

I don't think this works for many of us.  I paid for the federal and two state returns.  There was an error that I fixed on the federal return.  The state return told me about the error in the final checks before e-filing. That error, which made its way into "IT-360.1 TP" of New York's filing, cannot be undone as far as I can tell.  I clicked "start over" for New York, but I cannot find that form/amounts to change anywhere.  As far as I can tell, TurboTax documentation suggests that some of the data can only be autofilled from the federal form, and that if it can be changed elsewhere, the user must delete the state and start over.  So, I'm stuck. 

Any advice on how to proceed?  TurboTax won't allow me to e-file and suggests that I file by mail.  On the PDF to file by mail, it specifically directs that "New York State requires this income tax return to be filed electronically."  I'm in a position now wondering if I need to pay a turbotax competitor to finish my NY return.

Thanks,

John 

How can I start over the state tax 

Instructions above not working......

@Nannie17 wrote:

How can I start over the state tax 

Deleted the state tax return.  Once the return is deleted, click on State on the left side of the online program screen to start the state return again.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for deleting a state tax return using the online editions - https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/state-taxes/delete-state-return-turbotax...

Thank you so much for your response.

I don't have the delete option, or I'm just not finding it, I have the MAC software...

Maybe instead of deleting I should take the star over, but i don't see  the option either....

Hello, could somebody let me know how to start over a State tax in the MAC software,  I don't see the option of deleting it nor start over.

There is no left menu as shown for online filing.

Thank you.

@Nannie17 wrote:

Hello, could somebody let me know how to start over a State tax in the MAC software,  I don't see the option of deleting it nor start over.

There is no left menu as shown for online filing.

Thank you.

Not sure if it is the same for a Mac but this is the way to remove the state return using Windows.

Click on Forms.  When in Forms mode click on the File menu at the top left of the desktop program screen.  Click on Remove state return.

@VolvoGirl Do you have a Mac for the procedure to remove a state?

@Nannie17 You posted to a thread from a couple of years ago.  The original user in this thread was using online TurboTax.  You say you are using the CD/download.   Please explain what has gone wrong with your state return.  What are you trying to fix on it?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Thank you so much, I was able to remove the state return. 

Have a great Sunday!

I don't think it was me.....

The reason I was trying to start over it was while reviewing it asked to complete form 3554?? i think that was the number, and couldn't find that form, neither familiar with it on previous years.

Thank you

Mrs green
Returning Member

need to download another state download the wrong state

KatrinaLO
Intuit Alumni

You can delete your state tax return by following the steps in this TurboTax Help Article. 

@Mrs green 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies