How do I adjust for excess witholding due to TAMRA...

mvoei

How do I adjust for excess witholding due to TAMRA rule?

turbotax says that I had excess with holding. How do I adjust for TAMRA rule with holding?
ErnieS0

I don't understand your question. Did you have an excess 401(k) contribution.

If you have a 2020 excess 401(k) contribution see the answer by awesome Tax Expert @KathrynG3401k over contribution

If you received 1099-Rs for an excess 2019 contribution see the answer in Incorrect code in 2019 1099-R box 7.

mvoei

No, I do not have excess contribution, though the 403 (b) contribution amount is over the typical IRS limit of $19,500 plus $6,500 for the catch up, because I contributed more via a  5%employee/ 9% employer match plan. Because the University I work for has a mandatory rule after 5 years of working,  those contributions no longer count towards  IRS limits. This IRS rule is called the TAMRA rule.  I have heard that self-filings like turbo tax are not built to understand these exceptions, and the program is telling me that I overcontributed by $4200.  I need to make some sort of adjustment, possibly by manually entering the W-2 information, which I had imported.  The question then is where and what do I manually adjust., and can I do this on the on-line TurboTax or do I need to do it off line, where I can access all the forms?

ErnieS0

We'd have to look at your return to see how TurboTax is handling this. I suggest scheduling a call with one of our Tax Experts.