Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

87humbird

How come i have to pay state taxes on stimulus money

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

The stimulus payments are not taxable on your federal return and I don't know of any states that are taxing it, so what state do you live in so we can research further?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Oregon does have an issue with it...they (OR) claims a handwaving "not-taxed"  but it is a somewhat warped view and entering the Fed stimulus does affect the OR taxes owed for some tax payers.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

Either California or Turbotax taxed my stimulus.  Plain as day. The tax refund ticker reduced drastically when I answered that I received both stimulus checks.  I've been  letting people know.

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Before you enter the amount of the stimulus payments at the screen Did you get a stimulus payment?, you have been given the full Rebate Recovery Credit (the equivalent of the two stimulus payments) as part of your refund.   This can be found on line 30 of the 2020 Federal tax return.  At this point, this is an 'incomplete' Rebate Recovery Credit. 

The refund monitor on your screen displays a refund amount that includes the stimulus money as part of your 2020 refund.   When you enter the amount of stimulus you received, the refund monitor adjusts to account for this. 

  

See this TurboTax Help

  

This TurboTax Help states that the Economic Impact Payments (both the first and second) are not considered income, and therefore are not taxable. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies