Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

How can I find out if someone claimed me as a dependant?

@Cholly1964 wrote:

How can I find out who claimed me ?

Sorry, there is no way to find out who claimed you on their tax return as a dependent.

Since the IRS has already received a tax return with your Social Security number entered as a dependent, you will have to print and mail your tax return.  If you are owed a federal tax refund the IRS will pay the refund.

Within a year, you and the other party will receive letters from the IRS to investigate the situation.  Make sure you reply to any IRS inquiry.  The loser of the investigation must pay back any tax refund along with paying penalties and interest.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for printing a tax return for mailing - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/printing/help/how-do-i-print-and-mail-my-return-in-turbotax-online...

@Cholly1964 You cannot find out who claimed you.  The IRS will not tell you.    If you were claimed by someone as a dependent and you know that no one can claim you, then you have to print, sign and mail your own return.  You cannot e-file.  The IRS will sort it out.   Your mailed return will take longer to be processed, since mailed returns must be handled by humans at the IRS, so do not expect a quick refund.

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS/state received the return.

Federal and state returns must be in separate envelopes and they are mailed to different addresses.  Read the mailing instructions that print with your tax return carefully so you mail them to the right addresses.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

@Cholly1964 wrote:

Who stole my stimulus check ? Who ever claimed me is the one who stole it, how do I find out who it was ?

Sorry, there is no way to find out who claimed you on their tax return as a dependent.

Since the IRS has already received a tax return with your Social Security number entered as a dependent, you will have to print and mail your tax return.  If you are owed a federal tax refund the IRS will pay the refund.

Within a year, you and the other party will receive letters from the IRS to investigate the situation.  Make sure you reply to any IRS inquiry.  The loser of the investigation must pay back any tax refund along with paying penalties and interest.

See this TurboTax support FAQ for printing a tax return for mailing - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/printing/help/how-do-i-print-and-mail-my-return-in-turbotax-online...

Ervin32

Need my tax

return documents

@Ervin32 wrote:

Need my tax

return documents

To access your prior year online tax returns sign onto the TurboTax website with the User ID you used to create the account - https://myturbotax.intuit.com/

Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and on the section Your tax returns & documents click on Show.  Click on the Year and Click on Download/print return (PDF)

If you used the desktop CD/Download editions installed on your computer, the only copy of your tax data file and any PDF's will be on the computer where the return was created.  TurboTax does not store online any returns completed using the desktop editions.

Or go to this IRS website for free federal tax return transcripts - https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript

For a fee of $43 you can get a complete federal tax return from the IRS by completing Form 4506 - http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506.pdf

My name is [PII Removed]. 

I want to know if anyone has filed me on their taxes and if so what can I do to stop them

Thanks 

@Strawberry 2022 No one here has access to that information. We have no way to know if anyone filed a tax return claiming you as a dependent.  Even the IRS will not tell you.    If you try to e-file your return and it is rejected because your Social Security number has been used, then you can print, sign and mail your return.  The IRS will sort out the competing returns.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
MakiahRay

I filed my tax return it got accepted but I’m Making way less than what I was supposed to get and it says information about dependent 

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

If your return was accepted by the IRS because you e-filed your tax return then no one else claimed you as a dependent.  The IRS will not accept two tax returns with the same name and social security number listed on two different returns when one is a dependent and the other is the taxpayer who did not indicate they were being claimed by someone else.

If you mean that your refund was reduced, we need more information to be able to assist you.  Please be specific with details. The IRS will send a letter of explanation if they adjusted your tax return and you will be able to compare that information with your return once the letter is received.

@MakiahRay 

[Edited: 03/28/2022 | 10:02 PST] 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@MakiahRay   did you get a letter from the IRS saying they changed your return? 

That sounds like one of the generic reasons why they adjusted the Recovery Rebate Credit on your return. A common adjustment is if you claimed the Recovery Rebate Credit on 1040 line 30 when you already got the 3rd Stimulus payment or reported the wrong amounts. Do you have an amount on line 30? The IRS knows they already sent it to you. Line 30 is only if you didn't get the full amount or qualify more.

The 3rd Stimulus was 1400 per person.  It came out starting last March 2021.  Double check your bank accounts and check both your IRS accounts if married to see how much the IRS sent you.
https://www.irs.gov/payments/your-online-account

My name [PII removed]

How can I find out if someone claim me on their tax

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

The only way you will really know is if you file your own tax return and the IRS rejects your tax return because you are also listed on another tax return.  The reject code will give you this indication.  If this happens you must mail your tax return if you believe no one else is allowed to claim you as a dependent and/or you are not filing with your spouse if applicable.

If you e-file and your return is accepted this means the IRS did NOT receive another tax return with your specific name, social security number (SSN) and date of birth.  

Lastly, it seems that if the filing status is married filing separately, and your name is associated with the other spouse return, it's possible your return could reject.  In this scenario, you must also file by mail.

@7677642

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

How can I find out who claimed me on my taxes 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies