Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Trinacrystal
Returning Member

How can I find out if someone claimed me as a dependant?

My daughter is 21 years old and she is a college student.  She rents a room and works.. she supports herself %100.  As of 2016 when she was 17 i stopped claiming her as dependent.  She stayed with a family member for less than a year. In 2018 she was supporting herself %100 living on her own,  working, and going to school.  She filed taxes as independent for 2018 and 2019. She has not received a stimulus check yet.  When she checks the get my payment on IRS website it says not available. I was thinking the only explanation is if the family member she stayed with is claiming her as a dependent but when she had filed 2019 taxes (prior to the pandemic)  it was accepted so she is not being claimed as dependent. She has tried to figure out why she didn't receive it and at this point she is assuming it is because she got a student grant for college prior to the pandemic.  Is that possible that she doesn't qualify do to a student grant she received for college? She doesn't know what to do from here so I am trying to help her to figure out if she does qualify or what she needs to do to receive the stimulus.  Can you please help me. Does she qualify or does she not qualify? If she does what does she need to do from here? Thank you so much for your help 

Tilthend
Returning Member

How can I find out if I was claim as a dependent

@Tilthend wrote:

How can I find out if I was claim as a dependent

As stated in the answer directly above your post - "Sorry, there is no way to find out who claimed you on their tax return as a dependent."

Why do you ask?

I can I find out who use me on there taxes

@Honeycomb1 You cannot find out who claimed you as a dependent.  The IRS will not tell you.   If you do NOT meet the criteria to be claimed as someone else's dependent then say on your own tax return that you cannot be claimed as a dependent.  You cannot e-file now anyway--e-filing is closed for 2019 returns.  Print, sign and mail your tax return and the IRS will sort it out.

When you mail a tax return, you need to attach any documents showing tax withheld, such as your W-2’s or any 1099’s.  Use a mailing service that will track it, such as UPS or certified mail so you will know the IRS/state received the return.

Federal and state returns must be in separate envelopes and they are mailed to different addresses.  Read the mailing instructions that print with your tax return carefully so you mail them to the right addresses.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

WHO CAN I CLAIM AS A DEPENDENT?

You can claim a child, relative, friend, fiance (etc.) as a dependent on your 2019 taxes as long as they meet the following requirements:

Qualifying child

• They are related to you.

• They cannot be claimed as a dependent by someone else.

• They are a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or   Mexican resident.

• They are not filing a joint return with their spouse.

• They are under the age of 19 (or 24 for full-time students).

• No age limit for permanently and totally disabled children

They live with you for more than half the year (exceptions apply).

Qualifying relative

• They don't have to be related to you (despite the name).

• They cannot be claimed as a dependent by someone else.

• They are a U.S. citizen, resident alien, national, or a Canadian or Mexican resident.

• They are not filing a joint return with their spouse.

They lived with you the entire year.

• They made less than $4200  (not counting Social Security)

• You provided more than half of their financial support. More info

When you add someone as a dependent, we'll ask a series of questions to make sure you can claim them.

Related Information:

Does a dependent have to live with me?

What does "financially support another person" mean?

Can I claim a newborn baby?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

How can I find out if someone is using me as a dependent

only by filing your return. it will be rejected if you claim yourself and someone files before you and claims.  The IRS will not tell you. 

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

The tax return is equipped to handle the stimulus recovery when you have not received what you are entitled to.  

A worksheet will be completed with your return.  The Recovery Rebate Credit will cover both the first and second stimulus payments. This will determine the full amount of potential refund you are entitled to based on income and eligible dependents, and will be part of the final combined refund on your return, if applicable. It will increase a refund or reduce an amount due.

As noted, if you file a return and someone else has claimed you as a dependent on a return that has already been filed, and they were not entitled to, then the IRS will accept the first return that reaches their systems.  If this does happen and your return is rejected, you will mail your tax return with the correct information.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
MichelleLO
Intuit Alumni

Do you have a specific question we can assist you with?

@Lilchris72

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Ktlove17

I take care my self so I can I found out of somebody claim me

@Ktlove17 No you cannot find out unless someone actually tells you that they claimed you as a dependent.   The IRS will not tell you.    If you CANNOT be claimed as someone else's dependent, and your e-file is being rejected for a duplicate Social Security number, that is a sign that someone claimed you on a tax return.  You will not be able to find out who did it.   When that happens, you print your return, sign it in ink, and mail it in.  The IRS sorts it out and eventually sends a letter to you and whoever claimed you.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/dependents/help/when-do-i-have-to-answer-yes-to-being-claimed-as-a...

How can I find out who claimed me as a dependent

Who stole my stimulus check ? Who ever claimed me is the one who stole it, how do I find out who it was ?

How can I find out who claimed me ?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies