Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

wwerdna

Home & Business 2021 crashes on start-up on Mac

Just installed a retail version of Turbotax Home & Business 2021 on an intel iMac (running MacOS Monterey 12.1). Whether I install it from the CD or from the download, the same thing happens - after it's installed, I start the app, it flashes up the "checking version" box and then crashes. Looking at the console, it's crashing because of an uncaught C++ exception.

Any suggestions for how to get this working?

Terminate called after uncaught c++ exception:

0   TurboTax 2021                       0x000000010f2ff29b PrintStackAndTerminateOnUncaughtCPPException + 59

1   KSCrash                             [phone number removed]ad3e10 _ZL21CPPExceptionTerminatev + 86

2   libc++abi.dylib                     0x00007ff8093314d7 _ZSt11__terminatePFvvE + 8

3   libc++abi.dylib                     0x00007ff809331488 _ZSt9terminatev + 56

4   libdispatch.dylib                   0x00007ff8091becdd _dispatch_client_callout + 28

5   libdispatch.dylib                   0x00007ff8091cb5d8 _dispatch_main_queue_callback_4CF + 951

6   CoreFoundation                      0x00007ff80947a689 __CFRUNLOOP_IS_SERVICING_THE_MAIN_DISPATCH_QUEUE__ + 9

7   CoreFoundation                      0x00007ff80943b75e __CFRunLoopRun + 2752

8   CoreFoundation                      0x00007ff80943a5dd CFRunLoopRunSpecific + 563

9   Foundation                          0x00007ff80a2a165e -[NSRunLoop(NSRunLoop) runMode:beforeDate:] + 216

10  Foundation                          0x00007ff80a3272e1 -[NSRunLoo<…>

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

Please see the link here to troubleshoot further: Troubleshoot TurboTax for Mac download issues.

In addition to this, the help article TurboTax for Mac won't open when installed may provide additional insight as well.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

This has not been helpful at all.  My Mac is set at "allow Apps downloaded from App Store and identified developers", but it still crashes.  It can't be that hard to have the program verified.  I spent 2hrs with a very patient Intuit employee and at the end the only thing she could suggest was to use the online system.  My taxes are complicated and I have to file by mail  because not all the IRS forms are on Turbotax. I need to be able to do it on my computer.

Thank you

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

@peridesgeorge

We need a bit more information to assist you.  Are you getting an error message?  At what point does it crash, while you are installing? What is the OS you are using?

Please respond in the thread here and someone will reach out with the next steps.  We thank you for your valuable feedback!

I bought the software through Staples in early January.  It was installed perfectly fine, but every time I would try to run it, it will give me an error message which I ignored (and don't remember what was written on it any longer).  About 10 days ago when  I started the program again,  I hit the button on the error message to send you information and  the software instantly collapsed.  I spend more than two hours with two employees of Intuit during which I shared my screen, repeatedly deleted and reinstalled the software and finally downloaded the software through the internet.  The result was and still is the same; the program starts, shows for only a tenth of a second that it recommends to install updates and immediately crashes.  The only reason I can see what the window says is that I recorded it. 

I use Monterey 12.1

Thank you

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

@peridesgeorge

Thank you for providing this information.  There are additional steps with the uninstall I wanted to post here to check to see if you have tried those.  Also if you can try to get the error message information, that will be helpful too.  We may need to escalate this, but I wanted you to check this other document as well.  Please post here if that un-install doesn't work or if that is what you tried previously. 

Hi HeatherPLO,

Success!!!   I followed the instructions on the link you sent me and removed all those files.  I reinstalled Turbotax from the CD.  It took it a little time trying to open  the return I had already started and at first it gave me an error that the dates were not correct and the program automatically closed. I restarted the program and downloaded the two state (MA and VT) that I need and tried it again.  It gave me an error message ("It looks like we hit a snag”) but opened the return.  I closed the error message and decided not to report it to Intuit, as that is what I did and the program crashed two weeks ago. I plan to ignore the message in the future.  Let’s hope it works, I will keep you posted if anything changes.

Thank you for your help

George

DaraLO
Intuit Alumni

@peridesgeorge So glad it was a success.  Thank you for updating us.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies