turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I wait until 2020 to file 2018 taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AlanT
Expert Alumni

Yes, you can wait until 2020 to file your 2018 income tax return.  However, if you owe additional taxes for 2018, you will pay a failure to file penalty, a failure to pay penalty, and interest.  If you are due a refund, there are no penalties.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

81 Replies
AlanT
Expert Alumni

Yes, you can wait until 2020 to file your 2018 income tax return.  However, if you owe additional taxes for 2018, you will pay a failure to file penalty, a failure to pay penalty, and interest.  If you are due a refund, there are no penalties.  

But to be clear you have to file it on a 2018 return.  You can't just add it to your 2019 return next year.  You have 3 years to file if you are getting a refund.  

I owe the state one dollar will that rise by alto if I wait until 2020 to file

Possibly. Why not just do the state form by hand and send it in?
AlanT
Expert Alumni

good points

Don't know what forms or where to get them

Go to the  state tax website.

How would I go about doing this?

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

If you've  filed your return and need to add additional information, then you will have to prepare an amended return in TurboTax.

If you used TurboTax Online, simply log in to your account and select “Amend a return that was filed and accepted.”

If you used our CD/download product, sign back into your return and select “Amend a filed return.” You must file a separate Form 1040X for each tax return you are amending.

Amend ONLINE    OR     Amend CD/Download       Amend 2016 - 2019

I already filed 2019 taxes on TurboTax n I'm trying to file 2018

@CoreT34 wrote:

I already filed 2019 taxes on TurboTax n I'm trying to file 2018

To complete and file a 2018 tax return using TurboTax you would need to purchase, download and install on a personal computer one of the 2018 desktop editions from this website - https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/past-years-products/

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

No, you should file your 2018 tax returns as soon as possible.  The reply by @DoninGA provides you with the information you need to file your 2018 tax return.

My understanding is that you can.  I used a 1040-SR form and freefile TurboTax for 2019 tax return.  I found a printable 2018 1040 form online and filled it in by hand.  Looks like I send both to the same place, so I'm mailing them together. (I always have to mail my returns -- I think it's because my income is so low).  My tax returns are extremely simple.  Just Social Security and Standard Deduction, and nothing else.  I don't owe anything.  For future viewers, as I write this we are going through a Covid-19 outbreak nationwide.  There has been talk of some cash payments from the government for expenses and losses due to the virus pandemic.  I have read the amount of the payments will be based on income as reported and verified in 2018 tax returns.  I don't have to file, but I will file every year from now on.  I hope I won't miss out on any help.  I haven't lost as much as many workers, but it definitely has cost me due to shortages of supplies and the need to help family.  And I worry every month if I'll make it to my next Social Security payment in normal times, so anything extra means something else has to be cut.  I'm keeping saved and printed copies (signed) with the mailing date.  If you are able to submit electronically, you can keep track of it that way.  

@yorana 

If you are getting a tax REFUND you have up to three years from the filing deadline to file your return and still receive the refund.  If you had tax due--tax owed to the IRS---then missing the filing deadline and not paying means penalties and interest that begin with the filing deadline.

Putting two years of returns in the same envelope risks that the worker who opens the mail misses one. You should mail each year in its own envelope.  It is also a good idea to use a mailing service that tracks it so you know your return is received.

It seems you are filing these returns because you believe it has something to do with stimulus checks that may be issued.  Keep in mind that nothing has been decided or voted on yet by Congress.  We do not know yet how the program will be handled and whether filing a tax return is required.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies