Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kle01

Getting Refund for TurboTax $44.99 Premium Services Benefits

I filed my taxes today and in three separate occasions, I had to click no to TurboTax's $44.99 Premium Service Benefits. When I got to the filing step, I selected the option for TurboTax to deduct the filing cost (State + Premier) directly from my refund. Normally, this would be fine, but unfortunately there is a new cost this year for Californians and I was forced to get the $44.99 Premium Service. I was going to review what my current selected packages and options are at the end, but it didn't even take me to a confirmation page, it just straight up filed for me. I could have paid with a credit card, but I was unaware that this cost would be added on and the Premium Service would be forced onto me. Is there a way I can cancel this service, pay with my credit card, and get a refund even though my filing has been accepted?

I think TurboTax is extremely predatory with the way it forces paid packages onto us. I don't want filing protection, identity theft protection, or whatever protection this Premium Service gives me. If I did, I would have selected that option when I prepared my filings. The fact that they keep trying to bundle services secretly onto our tax filings, hoping we would miss that one last remove or rejection to add an additional fee to our filing is extremely shady. 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies

I don't work for TurboTax, but I'll tell you how to reach them at the bottom of this posting.  I'm a fellow user but have seen posts like yours many times from users who have had similar experiences.   The fee for Premium Services is shown, I believe, in the Step 1 - Review your order section and in the Order Summary in that section.  I have no way to look at it.  I don't have a screen image, but I know a fellow forum helper who might.

Premium Services is not new.    I've been answering questions about it for several years.  It's added for Californians who chose to pay out of the Federal refund and includes the added benefits you mentioned.   In California, that's the only way for filers to get the "pay out of refund" method.

For several years there has been a service fee to pay for TurboTax fees out of the Federal refund.   In all states except California the fee is $40.   In California, the fee is $45, where it is bundled as "Premium Services", which also includes Identity services, Audit Defense, etc. as part of the bundle.

FAQ:  What is the Premium Services bundle?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/choosing-a-product/help/what-is-the-premium-services-bundle/01/255...

It's only added if/when a California filer chooses to pay the product fees out of the Federal refund.  It can, however, be removed prior to filing, and then one could pay upfront with credit/debit card to avoid the $45 fee.   But you say you have already filed.

This is a user community forum.  Nothing account-specific can be handled here.   You can discuss it with TurboTax Support by phone, if you wish.  I don't know what they will say, but they may say that continuing to file indicated your acceptance of the terms.  Here's how to reach them during business hours:

Hours are 5AM-9PM Pacific (8AM-12 Midnight Eastern) 7 days/week.

FAQ: What is the TurboTax phone number?
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

Or use this contact form to be assigned a phone number.   Indicate your product and in the issue line say billing issue without quotes.
https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact

I would like to cancel this service please

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

To cancel the service, please follow the instructions here to contact us by phone @Cassandrajohnson37

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I am also seeing this $45 fee for the first time this year. It seems very misleading that they are forcing this fee without notice and at the point entries are finished and we are ready to file. 

Can this fee be avoided if filing by mail?  I filed by mail last year and don't recall seeing this fee.

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

If you have not used the service or completed your purchase, you can follow the instructions here to remove the Premium Services and still file by e-file. The Premium Service is an optional add on. 

If you need additional assistance, please comment and let us know. @egluckman

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Calestorm
Returning Member

@CarissaM The problem is is that when I follow those instructions it leads me to a blank page on the online version of TurboTax and never goes anywhere. I've tried with different browsers and it will not update after attempting to remove it. It's curious that that is the ONLY thing that doesn't work when using it the rest of the time.

@Calestorm wrote:

@ CarissaM The problem is is that when I follow those instructions it leads me to a blank page on the online version of TurboTax and never goes anywhere. I've tried with different browsers and it will not update after attempting to remove it. It's curious that that is the ONLY thing that doesn't work when using it the rest of the time.

You may need to speak to TurboTax Support for realtime assistance.

Support hours are 5AM-9PM Pacific (8AM-12 Midnight Eastern), 7 days/week

FAQ: What is the TurboTax phone number?
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

Cindyjo24

@CarissaM 

I've called multiple times... and not one Intuit/Turbotax agent has helped with this. I was sent a link to request refund however the ONLY item not listed in the itemized list of my order is the Premium Services Bundle $44.99 yet the amount is included in total amount. I also contacted Experian hours after i filed being it was not something I ordered and was told it would cancel within 30days, before my tax return is processed by IRS. But of course that didnt happen and I was still charged. So now i dont know who to contact, and this is why lawsuits are being filed and Turbotax is losing longtime loyal customers. With the way things are going: inflation, gas prices (esp in LA), unbelievable cost of rent, food pricing, etc.... PEOPLE CANT AFFORD TO JUST LOSE MONEY FOR THINGS LIKE THIS!! I DID NOT ORDER THE PREMIUM SERVICES AND IT WAS A TRICK TO FORCE IT ON PEOPLE SIMPLY TRYING TO FILE THEIR TAXES. 

@ Cindyjo24 wrote:

@ CarissaM 

I've called multiple times... and not one Intuit/Turbotax agent has helped with this. I was sent a link to request refund however the ONLY item not listed in the itemized list of my order is the Premium Services Bundle $44.99 yet the amount is included in total amount. I also contacted Experian hours after i filed being it was not something I ordered and was told it would cancel within 30days, before my tax return is processed by IRS. But of course that didnt happen and I was still charged. So now i dont know who to contact, and this is why lawsuits are being filed and Turbotax is losing longtime loyal customers. With the way things are going: inflation, gas prices (esp in LA), unbelievable cost of rent, food pricing, etc.... PEOPLE CANT AFFORD TO JUST LOSE MONEY FOR THINGS LIKE THIS!! I DID NOT ORDER THE PREMIUM SERVICES AND IT WAS A TRICK TO FORCE IT ON PEOPLE SIMPLY TRYING TO FILE THEIR TAXES. 

CarissaM is not around this time of year and would not be able to help with anything account-specific.   This is a public Internet forum--mainly a user community--not a direct route to TurboTax Support, and nothing account-specific is handled through this forum.

Here's how you likely ended up with Premium Services Bundle:

If you are a California resident that chose to pay the TurboTax fees out of the Federal refund, then that automatically adds Premium Services Bundle at 44.99.    In California, that is the only way one can choose to pay the product fees out of the Federal refund.   In addition to that payment method, the Premium Services Bundle also includes other features, such as audit protection and identity protection services.

FAQ:  What is the Premium Services bundle? (California filers)
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/choosing-a-product/help/what-is-the-premium-services-bundle/00/255...

At this time of year, we are fellow users here, not TurboTax Support.   Premium Services can be removed prior to filing and then paying upfront by credit/debit card.   But once filed, it cannot be removed.   You say you have already talked to TurboTax Support several times about it without results.  I'm not optimistic that they would refund it, if you did indeed use that service to pay your TurboTax fees out of your Federal refund.     That payment method involves setting up a bank account at an intermediary bank that receives your refund, takes out your fees, then sends the rest to your bank account (or card) in a second direct deposit.

If you want to provide feedback to Intuit Corporate, here's how:

You can go to the page below. Just below the page's main header tabs, you'll see a screen-wide blue banner that prominently says:

"Do you have a question, concern, or feedback about an Intuit product or service?"

There is a "Send an email" link.  It goes to a designated person in the office of the president of Intuit, and they supposedly will assign it to the right team for review.

NOTE:  Do NOT send any sensitive personal data with that initial contact since that is regular email--not secure email.

https://www.intuit.com/company/executives/

kpletta1
Returning Member

Thanks for the heads up.  I was able to back up and pay the CA filing fee with a credit card and avoid the premium service fee (I hope so anyway, let's wait and see).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies