Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Form 8915-F is available from the IRS but It is not available in turbo tax online. Why and when will it be available?

I think there was a change this year, however based on responses here all the other major online tax services had no issues with the form this year (Tax Slayer and HR Block were both mentioned as no issues).It seems TurboTax was the only one. This points to internal issues at Inuit with their programming that they blamed on the IRS. This apparently happened last year with this same form. 

I'm wondering why TurboTax may feel I should use them next year. They delayed my refund by three weeks just waiting on this form. 😠

Form 8915-F is available from the IRS but It is not available in turbo tax online. Why and when will it be available?

Can someone walk me through how to enter the 3rd year of cares act withdrawal? I was able to do it last year but I cant figure it out with this years question template. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Ive got the form filled out but it keeps putting me in an endless loop.. anyone have a resolution to this?

Screenshot 2023-03-09 121709.jpg

I see 8915-F now instead of the draft form. I also re-ran through the retirement steps and made sure it's all there (and the income shows as income in the summary). But my refund wasn't reduced. Did anyone else see this? The questions were there in earlier versions so I'm wondering if the calculation was there already, that it just wasn't ready to file. 

Hi Jedi4380

I just completed my taxes. I saw the same thing occurred. My refund did not decrease after completing the 8915-F.  I reached out to TurboTax Tax Expert as I wondered if the taxable income was included?  TurboTax Expert confirmed the taxable income from 8915-F was in the background added in the calculations, but they couldn't confirm the on line return until the 8915-F was ready to go on line. 

Thanks ZappedbyTT! At least it wasn't only me. I saw it in the summary so I feel like they included it prior, but wasn't 100%. I'm using TurboTax Home & Business for Mac (not the online version). So I'll opt for the audit defense and hope it's right. 

The summary was where the TurboTax Expert showed me also.  Because I wasn't 100% confident, since I was still getting a refund.  I didn't want to give the Feds any red flags to pull my return for review..-).

I mean if the form's there and the calculation's wrong, the IRS should just correct the math. And then we can fight with TurboTax on their accuracy guarantee. 

@ZappedbyTT It did back it out. I just went through and said I didn't have a 2020 disaster contribution and my tax refund went up significantly. Then I re-entered it and it went back down. So I feel better about it now and pleasantly surprised I'm still getting a decent refund. They must have done the calculations before when we first entered it and later just finalized the form for filing.

Thank you for testing our assumption.  I appreciate you sharing that.  

stormj06
Returning Member

I was told it wont be until MArch 24th now. When doing my taxes I tried to back out the COVID 401K 2020 withdrawl info and add it (didnt change my numbers). Also, looking at the final filling documentation I see nothing in the final file refferencing the 1/3 of the withdrawel due....no form 8915. 

Can TurboTax please confirm and update the date accoridngly? Looks like some may be misled and are filing without it accuratly being in their final efile.

I was finally able to complete my return with the 8915F form and e-file it. HOWEVER my state (Maryland) was rejected as there is ANOTHER form that has NOT been updated! No message about it not being able to be e-filed, charged me the $25.00e-file fee (up $5.00 on March 1 as I couldn't prepay because form 8915F wasn't ready) and I submitted it. Then it was rejected. Possible will be updated tomorrow. Who knows?? Not a happy customer for sure.

So I finally filed BUT had to fix a fed withholding amount for one of my W-2s. I hate that I couldn't even do a review before today. I should've just been able to hit file and pay. I also had to connect with 3 different reps to answer my question about why there wasn't a "continue" button after my review. Continue was replaced with a button to contact an expert. 😒

I'm not holding my breath that this is really done yet. I had to get a tax advocate to move me along last year after the missing 8915-F when I filed.

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

Yes. Form 8915-F is available on Mar. 9. See Federal Individual Form Availability.

Form 8915 is used to report a disaster-related retirement distribution, and any repayments of those funds. For tax years 2021 and 2022, Form 8915-F will replace Form 8915-E, which was the form used to report 2020 COVID-related qualified disaster distributions.

Learn more at How do I use Form 8915 to report my 2020 COVID-related retirement distributions?

@scs731 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

The IRS rejected my return because of an error on 8915-F.  I am beyond angry with Turbo Tax. I waited for TT to complete the form and my filing is rejected. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies