Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Form 8915-F is available from the IRS but It is not available in turbo tax online. Why and when will it be available?

Oh, the TurboTax Live agent walked me through those steps already. And several other attempts at other approaches. Something is still wrong with my return. I can't even get to the filing step because it tells me that I need to review the section on 401(k) Withdrawals.

DanaB27
Expert Alumni

Form 8915-F is available from the IRS but It is not available in turbo tax online. Why and when will it be available?

Thank you for the token. I reviewed your file and saw the entry on line C. I  was able to remove the entry with the following steps:

1. Login to your TurboTax Account 
  2. Click on the "Search" on the top and type “1099-R”  
  3. Click on “Jump to 1099-R” 
  4. If you do not have any 2022 1099-R answer "No" to "Did you get a 1099-R in 2022?" (If you have any other 1099-R then enter all 1099-R and after entering your last 1099-R click "Continue" on the “Review your 1099-R info​​​​​​​” screen)
  5. Answer "Yes" to the "Have you ever taken a disaster distribution before 2022?" screen
  6. Answer "Yes" to "Did you take a 2020 Qualified Disaster Distribution?"
  7. Uncheck the box next to "If this was a Coronavirus-related distribution reported in 2020 check here" and click continue
  8. On the "Which disaster affected you in 2020?" screen I selected the blank entry and click "back
  9. Then recheck the box next to "If this was a Coronavirus-related distribution reported in 2020 check here" and continue.

Another option is to delete both the "Form 8915-F" and "Qualified 2020 Disaster Retirement Distr" and then go back to the retirement section and reenter the information:

1. Open or continue your return in TurboTax.
  2. In the left menu, select "Tax Tools" and then "Tools".
  3. In the pop-up window Tool Center, select "Delete a form".
  4. Select "Delete" next to "Form 8915-F" and "Qualified 2020 Disaster Retirement Distr" and follow the instructions.
  5. Click on the "Search" on the top and type “1099-R”  
  6. Click on “Jump to 1099-R” 
  7. If you do not have any 2022 1099-R answer "No" to "Did you get a 1099-R in 2022?" (If you have any other 1099-R then enter all 1099-R and after entering your last 1099-R click "Continue" on the “Review your 1099-R info​​​​​​​” screen)
  8. Answer "Yes" to the "Have you ever taken a disaster distribution before 2022?" screen
  9. Answer "Yes" to "Did you take a 2020 Qualified Disaster Distribution?"
  10. Check the box next to "If this was a Coronavirus-related distribution reported in 2020 check here" and enter your information.

Please let me know if this worked for you.

Please let me know if this works for you.

@mbrowne81 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Your suggestion seems to have worked. Maybe TurboTax should pay you.  

Mine says I can file. But still showing zero income on the wages page under 1099 R . Is that correct?

I owe money so don’t want to pay and get rejected 

This exact same thing happened to me.  I used the "let's fix this" option and re-filed just now but I regret not doing some research first.  The rejection was actually caused by the fact that Turbo Tax listed a typo in the space on item C on the form when nothing should be entered in that part if was Corona virus related.  I did a download of the form AFTER the second e-file and see that the error was NOT corrected.  I expect it will be rejected again.  I hope I can fix this manually and e-file a third time if that happens.   I should have made the correction myself.  Beyond frustrated. 

Goliath76
Returning Member

I have the same situation. I am going to wait for TurboTax to correct this issue and my income to show before I file. This will prevent the of having my return rejected…..or worse being corrected by the IRS.

This issue just happened to me, too, after the IRS and the State of CA rejected the e-file.  Quite frankly, after waiting all these weeks and finally e-filing, I have absolutely no desire to go through the steps your team is asking for.    I just now e-filed a second time after the TT prompt advised that the error was corrected however, based on these replies here I expect will be rejected a second time.  I hope this is not the case, but I printed the form AFTER my second e-file, and it looks like the typo in Part C that isn't supposed to be there is there. The TT team needs to figure this out.  

If I am rejected a second time, as I fully expect, I will follow these steps and e-file a third time.  This is the THIRD year we've been doing this  - it's simply unacceptable that this error even exists because this is the same 8915-F form as last year with the date changed.  Is there to be any accountability for TT related to this issue? Your coders have some explaining to do.  

It's not letting me mark the post as the solution, but I just followed this one and mine was accepted!

@Dankp316 

"go to tools on the side and delete both qualified disaster distribution and 8915F. After that I went back to the section for 1099-r and re-entered all the information. That finally cleared line C and I was able to refile."

Rspencer2

My file rejected twice.  I am going to file a complaint with consumer financial services, BBB and treasury department.  This is completely unacceptable!

stormj06
Returning Member

WHen did you guys submit it? I ended up trying again last night late, when looking at the final docs it reflected an 8915F, I submitted and my returns were (initially) accepted. Maybe it will get kicked back later, but I think the document was added late last night on 3/9

Go to Tools and delete the form completely. Then you will need to renter the information again and submit.  You can verify if it worked by downloading a copy of the form before submitting. You need to make sure the “coronavirus “ notation was removed from the form where a FEMA case number should be.  Coronavirus does not have a FEMA case number. 

Rspencer2

I submitted the first time yesterday afternoon.  Was rejected.  Waited until this morning.  Went into turbo tax in the 401 section.  Answer the questions.  Did the federal check for errors.  Submitted second time and it rejected immediately.  I will try again tonight but I want my money back!  I’m filing a complaint.  They will have to answer why their product failed users to the federal consumer financial bureau and BBB.  Folks should not have to go through this. 

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

If you're using TurboTax Desktop, go to FORMS and Open Form 8915 Worksheet.  Delete 'Coronvirus' from below Line 18, Fema disaster.  (screenshot below).

If you're using TurboTax Online, Delete Form 8915 and Worksheet, close TurboTax, clear your Cache and Cookies and step through the the 1099-R interview and following Disaster questions again.  Leave disaster type blank. 

@Rspencer2 

Edited 3/10/2023 |1:38 pm

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

The software is not letting me delete the text in the FEMA part C - how did you overcome this issue with the software?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies