Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

error in turbo tax reporting of taxable social security benefits (line 6b)

In preparing our joint taxes for 2022, on the SSA Income page I entered the exact amounts of gross SSA benefits and net taxable benefits as reported by the SSA.   When those amounts were transferred to the final tax return, line 6B shows a difference of $813 in the combined taxable amount.  It now appears the FILED return is overreporting this taxable income. How did this happen and how do we fix it since the return has already been filed?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies
CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Dependent upon your other income, up to 85% of your social security can become taxable. You will see below how to figure if you have taxable social security or you can visit IRS.gov and use the Interactive Tax Assistant tool. 

• Tax Formula.  Here’s a quick way to find out if a taxpayer must pay taxes on their Social Security benefits: Add one-half of the Social Security income to all other income, including tax-exempt interest. Then compare that amount to the base amount for their filing status. If the total is more than the base amount, some of their benefits may be taxable. 

• Base Amounts. The three base amounts are: 
    • $25,000 – if taxpayers  are single, head of household, qualifying widow or widower with a dependent child or married filing separately and lived apart from their spouse for all of the tax year 
    • $35,000 – if they are married filing jointly 
    • $0 – if they are married filing separately and lived with their spouse at any time during the year 
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I think you entered the SSA-1099 wrong.  You only enter the Net Benefits in box 5.  Then Turbo Tax calculates the taxable amount on line 6b.  I don't know how you could enter both gross and taxable yourself.  And the SSA-1099 doesn't have Gross & Taxable listed on it.

You are correct in that the Income page for SSA benefits doesn't ask for the gross and net. I guess what I was assuming was that the Medicare Part B amounts as shown on SSA 1099s would be deducted from Box 5 figures to then reflect what the (net) taxable amount would be on Line 6b. So that doesn't appear to be the case and somehow IRS just comes up with its own figure which I cannot find any explanation of how that is determined.

Up to 85% of Social Security becomes taxable when all your other income plus 1/2 your social security, reaches:

Married Filing Jointly: $32,000

Single or head of household: $25,000

Married Filing Separately: 0

To see the Social Security Benefits Calculation Worksheet  in Turbo Tax Online version you would have to save your return with all the worksheets to your computer.   Or if you are using the Desktop CD/Download Software you can switch to Forms Mode (click Forms in the upper right) and click on SS in the list on the left side.

Is your Social Security taxable?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/income/help/is-my-social-security-income-taxable/00/25600

IRS Pub. 915 on Social Security.  There is a blank worksheet on page 16

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p915.pdf

And the Medicare does not get subtracted from box 5 to determine the taxable amount.  But you can deduct the Medicare as a Deduction on Schedule A if you itemize.  It automatically flows over to Schedule A.  

DM103

Last year, the IRS corrected line 6b on my TurboTax Return to show $0 Social Security taxable amount.  The only thing I can figure is that the calculation in TurboTax includes both my Social Security Benefit and my spouses, X .5 + other income.  That resulted in a Social Security taxable amount.   Which the IRS corrected.

However, if I calculate it on an individual basis, as it dictates on Notice 703 (on the back of Form SSA-1099 Social Security Benefit Statement), neither I nor my spouse owe taxes.  

It seems to me that Turbo Tax may need to be tweaked.  I'm not the expert here but there is definitely a difference between the IRS and TurboTax are calculating it. 

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

If you are filing as Married Filing Jointly, all of your combined income is considered in determining whether your Social Security benefits are taxable or not (or partly taxable).

Look at your Modified Adjusted Gross Income (MAGI). The MAGI includes half of your Social Security, plus other sources of income.  Once your MAGI exceeds the base amount for your filing status ($32,000 for Married Filing Jointly or $25,000 for all others), at least part of your Social Security income becomes taxable. 

Since we can't see your tax return in this forum (or your 2021 return) I can't say why the IRS adjusted your taxable Social Security, but since it was in your favor, that's a good thing.

However, TurboTax does use the same calculations as the IRS in calculating taxable Social Security benefits.

Here's more info on Is My Social Security Taxable?

@DM103 

DM103

Thanks, I will submit as Turbotax calculated.  I'll let you know how it goes this year.

vicmn
Returning Member

I have issue with TurboTax 2022 calculation of taxable Social Security.  I sold some stock in 2022 with capital gains.  I mailed my return (cannot e-file), and paid the amount I still owed for Federal taxes.  THEN I received a check from the IRS.  I thought it was fake, but IRS says it is real and I overpaid my taxes!  TurboTax rep reviewed my TT filing and says it is correctly done. Says IRS making mistake because IRS did not add capital gains to my income to calculate taxable Social Security.  TurboTax told me to call IRS to ask them why!   

I found the following on Internet.  Anybody have similar experience???

....Capital gains and Social Security benefit taxes have a circular relationship. If your capital gains and income from other sources is low enough, your Social Security benefits may not be taxable. That, in turn, lowers your taxable income and can decrease the tax rate you pay on capital gains. On the other hand, large capital gains can cause your Social Security benefits to become taxable, which also may increase the amount you'll have to pay the 

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

TurboTax does the calculations accurately for the social security taxable amount from my experience this year.  The basics of taxable social security are as follows.

1. Combine all of your taxable income and half of your social security income (also include any tax exempt interest if applicable)
  2. Subtract the following base amount:
    1. $25,000 for single, head of household, qualified surviving spouse and married filing separately if you did not live with your spouse at any time during the year, or 
    2. $32,000 for married filing jointly
    3. $0 if you are married filing separately and lived with your spouse at any time during 2022.
  3. If you have a balance after step 2, then you have taxable social security benefits of 50% of this balance (minimum)

For a higher income an maximum base amounts see the instructions and worksheets in the following publication.

@vicmn 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies