vicmn
Returning Member

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

I have issue with TurboTax 2022 calculation of taxable Social Security.  I sold some stock in 2022 with capital gains.  I mailed my return (cannot e-file), and paid the amount I still owed for Federal taxes.  THEN I received a check from the IRS.  I thought it was fake, but IRS says it is real and I overpaid my taxes!  TurboTax rep reviewed my TT filing and says it is correctly done. Says IRS making mistake because IRS did not add capital gains to my income to calculate taxable Social Security.  TurboTax told me to call IRS to ask them why!   

I found the following on Internet.  Anybody have similar experience???

....Capital gains and Social Security benefit taxes have a circular relationship. If your capital gains and income from other sources is low enough, your Social Security benefits may not be taxable. That, in turn, lowers your taxable income and can decrease the tax rate you pay on capital gains. On the other hand, large capital gains can cause your Social Security benefits to become taxable, which also may increase the amount you'll have to pay the